Purchasing a 350

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

docdadd

Purchasing a 350

Post by docdadd »

Hello the list
I realize things are just getting geared up here on the list... In any event, I'm purchasing a 350...now own a 310. Any thoughts, suggestions.
Jim
jnnielsen
Site Admin

Welcome!

Post by jnnielsen »

Welcome Aboard, docdadd,

Enjoy your boat. We all love our boats even if youi;ll see a complaint now and then. Please do register on the forum so you can use all the features. Jump right in and fire those questions. There is a lot of accumulated knowledge here.

I'm working as fast as I can to get all of our old technical notes from the old site into the forum. They are a source of very useful advise as well.

Just jump on in. We're happy to have you.

Jerry Nielsen
Tim April IV

Great Boat - You'll have fun!

Post by Tim April IV »

docdadd - We're just in the process of moving over here (to this board) from a Sailnet/Sailjazz email list, so the responses might be a little slow coming.

A fair number of owners have been active on the board and have lots of advice and thoughts. Hopefully some will join in.

One of the key things on buying the boat is to very aware how important the relationship you have with your dealer is. All new boats will have some issues. How well you are able to deal with the issues will depend to a great extent on how much support your dealer will provide. As a C310 owner moving up, you probably have a handle on some of that already. Frankly (maybe an inside joke there) don't expect a huge amount of support out of the Catalina Factory - your primary interface will be through the dealer.

You don't say what part of the country (assuming you are in the US...) you sail in.

Buying a new boat - some things to think about in terms of how important they are to you and whether you can save money or hassle by installing them at commisioning or wait a year, etc.

Example - the factory provide speaker wiring preinstalled from near the electrical panel to the "normal" locations - port and starboard in the cabin, and out to the stern seat location - already threaded through the stainless stanchions. If you are at all handy, you can probably save some money by purchasing the equipment from a supplier and installing it yourself rather than opting for the factory or the dealer to install it.

On the other hand, a Wind instrument will require wiring in the mast and if you want that, I'd suggest you get it installed at commisioning - as the mast is down then, etc.

This boat won't accept a wheel-based auto pilot, so that means the installation can be a bear - get it done during commissioning.

Comissioning is the time to be thinking about installing heat (like I need in the northwest) or AC (like all the Florida sailors can't live without).

Haven't heard anyone that really was hot for the 150% genoa - in fact some say that the tracks don't go far enough aft to properly trim it. I have the 135% and I'm able to get the boat moving quite nicely - the (traditional) main has bull battens and is really quite large.

I know there are a bunch of other inputs on this subject - I know you will enjoy your boat.

Good Luck!
Tim Brogan
April IV C350 #68
Seattle
tjr350

Post by tjr350 »

Jim,
Sounds like a familiar story. We also owned a 310 which we loved but wanted the ultimate boat before retirement. We love our new 350 and it is everything we wanted in a boat and more. Great sailing boat, greay accomodations. Don't think twice, its alright.
Tim
Nora Clare #332
:D
Joel Indulgence

Right choice

Post by Joel Indulgence »

Jim Joanne and I looked at alot of boats before purchasing, ours in Vancouver. We bought our boat from dockside so we had no choice on factory options. It seemed to come with all of the important pain in the neck things done. The mast was prewired for wind, the speakers were all prewired, fo us the defining features were the mattresses, on-suite bathroom, galley out of companionway path, and the overall interior and cockpit volume, compared to other boats. I must also tell you that our previous boat was a Macgregor 26m. There goes my credibility. We have only owned Indulgence for a year but every time w'ere on her it reaffirms we made the right choice . Good luck and good sailing Joel
Copacetic

Go ahead, jump!

Post by Copacetic »

Hi docdadd...
Get the electronics up front, as mentioned, while the installation is way easy and the after market problems won't surface. Beef up the battery system if you run alot of 12V systems (like my TV and inverters) and do the separate starting battery now, no need to delay. The 135 genoa is indeed all you need.
We moved up (or is that over or down?) from having a Catalina 36 mkII for five years, and it was pretty much standard issue. We got the 350 as it was ready to go cruising for those 3-4 day weekends (So.Calif) and it was essential to have the auto-pilot for the 10 hour runs.
And of course, the separate shower area is a feature that helped sell us.
Good Sailing!
Scott Townsend
Copacetic #190
Oceanside CA
LONGHAWK

Re: purchasing a 350

Post by LONGHAWK »

Congrats. Supe boat. Plan on spending the first year sorting all the things out to your liking. Add a starting battery. Buy or build an anchor riding sail if you plan on spending time on the hook the boat wanders around otherwise, but steadies nicely with a riding sail.
I'd opt for aftremarket air conditioning, so you can split the system and quieten the running sound.
Get adjustable genoa cars from Garhauer.
Go with a different prop- ask Catalina and or you dealer for support here, there has been much work recently in choosing the best one.
Ensure that the refrifgeration system lids have been upgraded.
I added a C80 Raymarine chartpoltter and radar myself. I agree that the aout pilot and wind instruments are best done by the dealer / rigger at commissioning.
Ensure that your dealer carries spare light fictures for the cabin, as the switches seem to go.
The boat sails well. Solid, safe feeling, and steady.
Enjoy
Sam
LONGHAWK. hull #173
docdadd

Thanks

Post by docdadd »

Thanks to everyone for the responses and suggestions...really appreciate it. Looking forward to the 350 and the interaction with you all.
Jim
Josh

Post by Josh »

Hello all,

Glad to find this forum. We just had our offer accepted on a 2003 350 her in Ventura CA. I would really appreciate any suggestions for things to look for during the upcoming survey and trial. I have read about issues regarding freezer, sink hoses, prop cavitation -- anything else I should be looking for in particular?

I have had my eye on this very vessel for the last year, and she came on the market... yes!

Hope it works out.. Thanks.

Josh
Tim April IV

Hello Josh

Post by Tim April IV »

Hi Josh - do you know the hull number of the boat of your dreams?

A couple of other items that folks have paid attention to over time have been the overhead lights, and the electric head. Catalina has changed the head since the earlier models (don't know what the difference would be). Most folks think the electric head is pretty noisy, and there have been instances where folks couldn't empty the bowl - due to a missing or broken cotter pin holding the pump impeller to the shaft.

Great Boat! You should have a blast!
Tim Brogan
April IV C350 #68
Seattle
Last Boat

Post by Last Boat »

I agree with all the earlier comments about the C350. She is a great boat to own and we are really enjoying her. Someone mentioned the scarred shin from exiting the cabin, we all have that scare. I have placed insulation along the molding and it has decreased my cuts. All in all, I am very pleased with her. I have logged 175 engine hours since May and have had some real sailing also.
Nelson Gainey
Last Boat
Horst.Lechler

150% Genoa

Post by Horst.Lechler »

I am sailing out of Marina Del Rey, CA and opted for the 150% genoa and the fully battened main. I have been sailing with this configuration now for two years and don't regret getting the 150%. In our area the wind is typically 15 knots or less and the 150% really helps when there are only 10 knots like today and for the next week.

As to the track, it is barely long enough but I would strongly recommend the adjustable genoa cars from Garhauer. Can't say enough good things about this company!

Horst Lechler
"Seahorst" #127