Changing Commode Impeller

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's head here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

KenKrawford

Changing Commode Impeller

Post by KenKrawford »

I've been having problems with my Sea Era toilet. It flushes water perfectly but "solid waste" poses a problem The macerator works fine but the pump can't move the effluent out of the bowl. I called Raritan and they suggested that I replace the impeller, back plate and O-ring. The tech suggested that the impeller might be spinning on the shaft and that's why it won't empty.
A look at the parts diagram suggests that the impeller is accessed from the rear of the unit.
Has anyone experienced a problem like the one described? Anyone changed out an impeller?
Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Prairie Gold

Re: Changing Commode Impeller

Post by Prairie Gold »

Ken - I have had a similar problem and found two contributing factors. First my vent line on my holding tank was blocked due to a previous overfilling episode. Second, the pathway from the head to the holding tank got constricted by a build up of calcium which is formed when urine and sea water mixed. For liquids this wasnt a problem but with solids it was. To fix this problem I used hydrochloric acid which I got from a local hardware store. Warning - its extremely caustic and make sure the head is well ventilated when you use it, Fixing these two problems solved the head not flushing solids. As an added precaution I flush through white vinegar (purchased from a local grocery store) every couple of weeks.

Because of the calcium precipitate that arises when with urine and sea water mix, I now use the shower head to supply fresh water to flush the toilet. Consequently there is never calcium build up. Added bonus is that the grime that develops in the toilet bowl (calcium) no longer appears. Overall the toilet works really well and stays very clean.
Phil Haydon
Boston, MA
s/v Prairie Gold
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Thanks for the information Phil. I think my vent is ok since I can hear air being drawn in through the vent when I pump out. I sail in fresh water so I doubt mineral build up is an issue. I'll probably disconnect and inspect the discharge line just to be sure.
Just out of curiosity, how did you deal with the blocked vent line? I doesn't seem like there is much access to the vent line on the tank.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Richard Ad

Post by Richard Ad »

I had the same problem. Liquids flushed fine but solids did not. I was going to buy a new impeller blade but the guy at Sea Era chuckled when I told him my problem and he said just change the "joker valve". Really, really easy to do, cheap, and not messy at all. I had some calcium build up which was also easy to remove by scraping with a screw driver. Afterwards I put a cup or two of vinegar to break up any calcium that I could not get to and to break up any unseen calcium in the holding tank. The vinegar really cleaned the bottom of the bowl too. I do NOT use the "A" valve for toilet water. I only use fresh water from the shower. The fresh water reduces the odor too. A year later I had the same problem; replaced the joker valve and all has been fine for the last 2-3 years. Keep a spare! Changing your joker valve should take 5-10 minutes.
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Richard, I'll give the joker valve a look before it tear the impeller out. I sail in fresh water and the last time I changed my joker valve, there was no build up of anything on it.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA