Blue Boot Stripe

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Windseeker

Blue Boot Stripe

Post by Windseeker »

My blue boot stripe has oxidized and faded over the years. I'd like to redo it while the boat is on the hard. I'm not sure what the best solution to restore it. I'd like to know what it is. Is it colored gel coat? Decal? Paint? Has anyone restored one?
s/v: Wind Seeker
Hull #75
Chester River - Chesapeake Bay
R.B.

Re: Blue Boot Stripe

Post by R.B. »

I believe it is paint. Have you tried wet sanding it and then polishing it up again?

There is an excellent post on how to prep and polish your boat here:
http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/sh ... p?t=117266
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

There's a couple of things you could try depending on the degree of oxidation. I've had good luck with Barkeeper's Friend. Get the one labeled "Cleanser & Polish". I've also used 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound. You really need a buffer/polisher to work this properly. Make sure you keep the buffer moving or heat can build up and burn the gel coat. If it's really bad you could try wet sanding and polishing as recommended by R.B. Start with 400-600 grit and work your way up to 2000.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Windseeker

Post by Windseeker »

Thanks.

I was cleaning the hull over the weekend. There is some dirt and some mild oxidation. I just purchased the 3M rubbing compund the the Perfect it polish. I'll try that first. If that does not work I'll wet sand it.

Mark
s/v: Wind Seeker
Hull #75
Chester River - Chesapeake Bay
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

I use Finessit II from 3M
Use a polishing/buffing wheel at low speed to start. do not stop on one spot, keep it moving.I start with some water to wet the wool buffing pad and keep it wet. My results have been great.
Barkeepers friend and rubbing compound or polishing seem to be two abrasive but for the first rough cleaning you might have to use these first and go for the gloss with the Finessit II.
Leigh Weiss Brisa #155
Upper Chesapeake Bay
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
KevinMc

Post by KevinMc »

So what's the verdict? Paint or polish? I'm having my boat hauled out in a few weeks and the blue boot stripe is looking rather ugly. 13 years of sunlight has taken a toll. Would painting be the best option vs. purchasing a polisher, pads, etc? This is a project I'll be doing since the marina bill right now is looking to put a nice size dent on the wallet. (B.O.A.T. !)
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
russp

Post by russp »

Hi Kevin,

I tried cutting and buffing the boot stripe in two previous pull outs, and while it looked a bit better, still had multiple shades of blue that I just couldn't eliminate and was making an otherwise immaculate hull look drab. Last pull out I bit the bullet and we repainted with blue two pack, looks brilliant and I am hoping will stay that way for another 15 years. The hull overall looks like it just came out of the factory after 13 years in the sun, Catalina build them really well and use a very good gelcoat.
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
digitalvillager

Post by digitalvillager »

Catalina started molding the boot stripe into the 'glas late in the series I think. For most of us (I have a 2005), the only option is to repaint the boot stripe. We did it two and a half years ago and its a process to be sure. You need to use a pad sander to knock off any remaining gloss on the old stripe, then apply multiple coats of the 1st part of a 2 part poly paint. We used Interlux Perfection. Royal Blue was the color. After each application of the undercoat, you have to sand. The final 2 coats of the second part must be applied with a "Roll & Tip" technique to get it to look perfect. Here's a link to a YouTube video that will explain the process:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK9Zcm543x0. Of course you have to sand between coats. Also, its important to use a pad sander to get even pressure.
Charlie & Jeanne Monroe
PO Hull #285
Amelia Island, Florida
MarkElliott

Post by MarkElliott »

Last summer had the boat out for bottom paint and tried several methods to clean up the oxidation on the boot stripe. Seemed to me that the stripe was a applied vinyl decal. Boat is 2003 hull #71. Rubbing compound did nothing to improve the appearance. Ran out of days, and it went back into the water as was.
Mark Elliott
Mintaka #71
Noank Ct.
KevinMc

Post by KevinMc »

Thank you everyone. Went with painting over the boot stripe while we are on the hard. Sand 220 grit - primer - sand 220 grit- Interlux Perfection - sand 320grit - Interlux perfection. Looks great. Finally after three years of ownership the boot strip is the same color from bow to stern. Next week will be polish and wax.
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina