Galley head

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's plumbing here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

LONGHAWK

Galley head

Post by LONGHAWK »

OK, my galley hose failed also. Has anyone been succesful in fixing themselves? Is it humanly opossible to get a wrench to the fitting? Crow feet wrenches work? The admiral was not happy with the water inside the boat.
Sam, LONGHAWK # 173
Copacetic

galley hose question

Post by Copacetic »

Sam,
Was that the hose connected to the spout? Or the hot/cold supply hose. I ask as both failed on me. The hose extension was VERY hard to get to but I somehow perservered. Much aching. Then the hot extension supply line popped but I was able to put another fitting on that one.
I got a replacement hose for the faucet spout from my dealer, sent immediately, as they knew what was going on. The new hose was built much better.
At one time during the contortions, I even thought about removing the sink and replacing the faucet!
There has been some traffic on a replacement hose on sailnet or sailjazz, but we all know where that is.
Good luck!
Scott Townsend
Copacetic #190
Oceanside CA
LONGHAWK

galley hose

Post by LONGHAWK »

Scott, sorry for the delay in responding, but I just received my Galley hose from WC yesterday. It does look to be of better construction. Now I will try to become a contortionist and install it.
It is the hose that feeds the galley spray nozzle. It goes from the single leg after the mixer and then back up to the removable spray wand.
How did you get the thing off and re-installed? Did you use a basin wrench or a crow foot wrench?
Copacetic

galley hose follow up

Post by Copacetic »

The operative word in your statement was "contortionist". I spend pretty much most of one or two hours hunched/bent/pushing/squeezing everywhere within that small compartment. I left the faucet attached and dealt with the fitting that came down from the faucet mount under the sink, after the cold/hot mixing. I cut the original hose in half, pulling it up and out with the wand. The other end I eventually worked off of the middle faucet fitting despite being limited in space behind the double sink. The space in the middle gave me hope that I could accomplish this without removing the sink, but don't think I didn't give that more than one thought. I then very carefully siliconed the faucet fitting down through the wand handle down into the compartment. I used a very long needle nose (I looked high and low for a wide open grip and long handles) to very painfully and slowly worked the hose onto the faucet fitting (with teflon tape, once or twice spun about) but believe me, this took several stints under the sink in many positions. I left slack on the other end by not attaching the wand until I was done.
Hope this helps you over this hump.
Scott
Scott Townsend
Copacetic #190
Oceanside CA
SiegmanM

Sink Faucet Hose

Post by SiegmanM »

Hi,

Was there a replacement hose that came from Catalina? Mine blew this week and I now have the fun of trying to fix it.

Thanks,

Mike Siegman
Starship Venus #269
Copacetic

Hose

Post by Copacetic »

My dealer was very responsive and quick to get me an improved replacement. Make contact and they should get it to you post-haste. Funny how the original units are slowly putzing out, almost on cue. I was lucky; both my hoses went out while I was using the faucet. I suppose it was the "on" pressure of the pump that tipped it over the edge. Good luck!
Scott Townsend
Copacetic #190
Oceanside CA