2004 350 Cockpit enclosure

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Lulu

2004 350 Cockpit enclosure

Post by Lulu »

i need to replace my simple Bimini and want to install a dodger with enclosure.

I would like to know what you like or dislike about your install if you have one.
What would you change if you could that you find frustrating.

Also can you share who made your enclosure/dodger and pictures if possible.

Thanks all
Lulu
Hull #154
Leslie West
S/V Tiki Hull 154
Docked Pensacola Florida
Lulu

Re: 2004 350 Cockpit enclosure

Post by Lulu »

also any recommendation on hard top options for the 350 ?
Leslie West
S/V Tiki Hull 154
Docked Pensacola Florida
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

We have a 'tall' bimini in that it is the same height all the way to the dodger. It's great if you happen to be a little taller. It also provides better visibility. The down side is that if creates more wind resistance if racing happens to be your interest.
Attachments
bimini.JPG
bimini.JPG (147.49 KiB) Viewed 13913 times
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

Can you share who built your enclosure. I do not have any canvas folks here on the TN river if you can believe that so I am hoping to find a canvas shop that kept the patterns of jobs they have done on 350's

one more question. what does your enclosure do in the back. does it come down being the stern rail seat ?

Thanks for the info
Leslie West
S/V Tiki Hull 154
Docked Pensacola Florida
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

I believe the factory installed C350 canvas was all made by Lippincott Marine in St. Petersburg, FL
http://www.lippincottmarinecanvas.com/

In our case, the eisenglass stops a couple of feet behind the cockpit hatch (about the forward edge of the table). The center section above the cockpit hatch rolls up to let the breeze in or can be easily removed. Actually the whole thing is easily removable as it just held on with zippers and snaps. We have zip in suncreeens that come down a couple of feet from the bottom of the bimini and go all the way around the back, although we almost never use them. The bottom line is you can get almost anything you want from a good canvas maker, but I would think they would need to be local if you want anything remotely custom. Maybe not, you could give Lippincott a call and see what they say.

If I was doing it over, I would not have them cut a separate slot for each line you see in the picture. Those small tabs in the canvas have a tendency to tear, and each of them requires its own snap to hold in place. I think a single slot that encompassed all the lines would be sufficient. It might let in a little more air or rain, but I wouldn't think it would be too bad.

Good Luck
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

Many of the Catalina 350's canvas was made by JSI, now called Island Marina, in St Petersburg Florida. They probably still have the patterns, and perhaps the best cost on the dodger and bimini. A call to Catalina (Waren Pandy) would also tell you who they were last using to make canvas for the C350.

If you have a dodger made, I would definitely have a hand hold (handle) along the side of the dodger. This would be about 24" long, up near the top edge of the isenglass running for and aft. When you exit the cockpit going forward, there is nothing to hold on to and this makes a big difference for safety.

Bill
s/v TRIUMPH
ldirubbo

Post by ldirubbo »

My Bimini is a bit taller than the one you have with a piece that joins the dodger. When I had to replace the Bimini I talked to a few canvas people and found none helpful. I bought my 350 without the Bimini since it was shredded by the previous owner. A friend said I should call Catalina. They were very helpful, I gave them my hull number and I was told they had the pattern for my Bimini. Three weeks later it arrived and fit perfectly to my frame. The price was also les than many of the canvas people had quoted me. If you want to enclose the cockpit, they may also be able to help you. My canvas was made JVS.
russp

Post by russp »

If you have thought "hard dodger", I highly recommend it. The factory did sell them as far as I am aware, ours came with the hard dodger and semi-rigid polycarbonate windows which are superb compared to canvas dodger windows. It also gives you a robust mount for solar panels, very rigid attachment for in-fill canvas to bimini, and excellent handholds all around the cockpit for going forward.
Hard dodger.jpg
Hard dodger.jpg (114.9 KiB) Viewed 13887 times
I don't know who made them, the windows were made by Barrett Enclosures of Seattle, who are now Rainier Windows (also Seattle), they have the patterns for the C350 windows.

Regards
Russ Peel
Avalon (2004) #150
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
CloseQuarters

Post by CloseQuarters »

Hello, It's time to replace our dodger/Bimini. I'm seriously considering a hard dodger. I am interested to know if anyone knows who the manufacture is and the height dimension from cockpit sole to top of the dodger.
Thank you in advance.
Wayne Close
S/V Close Quarters #339
Wayne Close
Close Quarters #339
R.B.

Post by R.B. »

Hi Wayne, if you need to replace your canvas, we had ours done by Genco, in Toronto. They came out, measured and patterned. They did a full enclosure for us with zip out screens and windows. Hard plastic for the dodger, and soft for the enclosure. We are very pleased with the fit, finish and durability.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
CloseQuarters

Post by CloseQuarters »

Thank you for the feedback.
Cheers
Wayne Close
Close Quarters #339
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

Genco Marine is who finally did mine dodger Bimini w/connecter I got them to sew in the zippers for a full enclosure that I can add later. I am pleased and they did a good job considering they used my measurements. I installed it all myself once it arrived. A completely remote job !
Leslie West
S/V Tiki Hull 154
Docked Pensacola Florida
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

We have reached a point where our original Bimini needs replacing. Waterproofing spray no longer helps! When doing the replacement, we would like to add an enclosure. Being in Florida, our big concerns are: sun protection, especially when the sun sets below the level of the bimini; bug protection - mosquitoes, horseflies, no-see-ums; and to a smaller extent, rain and splash protection. The bimini is large and has a clear "glass" vinyl windshield. The screening would go around the two sides and back. Our canvas maker recommends Phifertex, which has a 70 per cent sun shade while still being able to see through it. We would likely use ash gray.
A few questions to those that have done this and are familiar with Phifertex.
1. Does it help with no-see-ums and mosquitoes?
2. Does it help at all with rain? The bimini and windshield do an incredible job most of the time. In a driving rain from the side or aft, it would be nice to at least slow the water down.
3. How did you work around the stern seats? We would like them enclosed ideally. If you have pictures of that area, please post.
4. Any other pros/cons?

Thanks for your suggestions!
Barbara
#76 Freedom
Barbara
#76 Freedom

"Wherever we want to go, we go. That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel and hull and a deck and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

Check out some of the ideas on my website under the tab entitled canvas ideas. The the website is www.thebookofsail.com

Check out the wings and the cockpit shade ideas.

Also, to waterproof your canvas try using Scotch Guard outdoor spray. I've had good luck with that at half the cost of the Sunbrella 303 spray. This info is on my website too.

I would recommend a sun block of no less that 85 percent Yes you can still see through it. Again see pics on my website. 70 percent is just not enough in my opinion.

Bill on Triumph