raydar cable replacement in mast

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

william vanwagoner

raydar cable replacement in mast

Post by william vanwagoner »

My old Raymarine C80 chartplotter has finally died and I am thinking about replacing it with a Raymarine E97 which also requires replacement of the old analog radome and cable with a new digital model. I believe the newer cable is a bit smaller than the old analog cable, but am still concerned about replacing it as it is inside the Charleston furling mast. I would appreciate any info from others who may have replaced the radar cable in the mast.
Bill VanWagoner
Destiny #229
C350ia

Re: raydar cable replacement in mast

Post by C350ia »

I haven't replaced the radar cable, but tried unsuccessfully to replace a TV antenna cable in the mast. The problem is that the cabling takes a sharp 90 degree bend at the bottom of the mast. It is very difficult to get the cable through this feature. Perhaps others can tell you how to do it. I only know I was unsuccessful and ended with no TV antenna.
markws1852

Post by markws1852 »

Bill, I replaced by C80 and Radome this past Spring with a new E125 and HD color Radome. I also have the Charlston furling mast (2005). I replaced my existing autopilot with a new Evolution autopilot (only the course pilot, compass and display). My installer attempted to run the new cable down the mast with the mast in place. That didn't work and we were required remove the mast, remove the old cable and install the new cable. It was easy but it obviously added to the labor cost. If the old cable has a straight run with no kinks or other bends you might be able to use the old cable as a 'snake' for the new cable. Regardless, the new cable and Radome work great for me and I love the new chartplotter. BTW, the E125 required a new Navpod (approx. $400) but I am not sorry I went to the larger screen.

Mark Schlussel
Legal Tender III
C300
russp

Post by russp »

Hi "C350IA" (?),

I am about to try to pull a new TV cable through the mast (std section, not a furler) and wondering if you can give me any hints not to do.

I.e. did you try pulling up through mast or down thru mast?

Any other thoughts gratefully received.
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Russ,

No experience with your particular stick. But worked on a number of "regular" masts.

If you have an access plate at the base of the mast, I would open it and start by attempting to snake a fish/wire down into the cabin. You know that from mid-mast to base of mast will be an easier fish. Yes, with internal halyards, you will need to access the wire chase or the halyards could pull/hang the wires.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Russ, I assume your mast is stepped and you are not replacing an existing cable which will obviously make this task considerably more difficult. I pulled my TV cable when my boat was commissioned and before the mast was stepped.

I drilled a hole on the starboard side of the mast near the top for the cable to enter the mast and inserted a rubber grommet to limit chafe. There is a plate on the top of the mast that is removable. If I recall correctly there are 2 PVC pipes secured to the mast. One is fore and the other is aft. You can use this as a wire chase to feed your cable down to the base of the mast. Have you looked in the bilge under the head sink where the wiring from the mast is connected to a terminal block? If you're very lucky there may be some messenger lines there that may assist you in pulling the wire through the mast step and inside the boat.
Hopefully someone will post that that accomplished this with a stepped mast and can comment on other potential pitfalls.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
russp

Post by russp »

Hi Ken,

My mast is stepped, and having just spent 2 weeks in the yard not keen to go back to the crane. I have an old TV cable already run, so can use that to pull through, but no idea how much room available to get the "join" through. Hadn't thought about taking plate at top of mast off to look down, will check that out. Thanks for the idea, haven't seen the PVC pipes yet!
Russ Peel
Avalon #150