corrosion removal

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

nybor

corrosion removal

Post by nybor »

First off, I have tried all the "sailor's" remedies for cleaning the stainless steel (this includes the tubing as well as the winches). While all work to some degree, by accident, I tried the 3M Marine Restorer and Wax on some of the metal and I couldn't believe it. The rust came off immediately, with virtually no (only very minor) rubbing. Even one of my winches had quite a bit of pitting on it, this stuff smoothed it out. Besides, after you polish the metal with a quick final rub, the material is protected with wax.

I know others have tried this and maybe even reported it here, but trust me, it is incredible. In fact it is so incredible, I expect the new users to send me royalty payments. I will get you my off-shore Bahamian account later.

dave

ps. I am sure, Leigh Weiss (who has tried everything) will respond that this 3M paste destroys metal or makes the metal attract lightning! (oh well)
leigh weiss

Re: corrosion removal

Post by leigh weiss »

Dave et al,
I use this product and Finessit II (Both 3M products) each spring to make the old boat gleam. I am pleased you find it works so well for you.

Some other rust and other stains on the metal parts and hull, I use "Barkeepers Friend" both powder and liquid. This works well for cleaning the white stripe on the water line.
Any other hints that will keep our P&J looking good please pass along.

Thanks,
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

I am a HUGE fan of Spotless Stainless http://spotlessstainless.com/?ss&gclid= ... HwodztgLKA.

IMHO, this stuff is truly incredible. We had a couple of pelican clips on the lifelines that were virtually copper colored from the rust. Brush On and Rinse Off. They then looked like new! Also cleans the rust stains off of the nearby gel coat. You do need to wax to make it stay that way for longer, but I touch up areas that start to look a little discolored about twice a year. It works best in the early morning before things get hot and dry. It likes to stay moist as long as possible to work at its best.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
russp

Post by russp »

Totally endorse Gary's comments, in fact I think I posted an article on Spotless Stainless a while back. It can get into corners and crevices and under bolts and into threads that no polishing cloth and paste can, and it takes zero rubbing and makes zero mess. It also leaves the surface passivated so much longer gaps between staining returning regardless of whether you apply a polish or not (I don't and still bright after 12 months).

As I said in earlier article, once you start using it you have to do the entire boat because anything not yet done stands out so badly!

Russ Peel
Avalon #150
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
nybor

Post by nybor »

I knew Leigh would have found out about the 3M product. I too have (and used) the Stainless Spotless brush on, etc. and it is a great product. BUT, try the 3M product. It also removes the small corroded "peaks" (from the metal oxidizing and expanding) from the mild abrasive in the wax. And, it is automatically waxed afterwards!

dave

ps. I haven't seen any deposits into my Caiman account...... (hopefully the thousands of checks are in the mail)
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

Russ,

Love your choice of spinnaker colors!
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
elk

Post by elk »

Spotless Stainless works better on some stainless than others.i used it on the spokes of the steering wheel, and although it removed the rust it came back in a week or two.
I'll have to try the 3M product.
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
nybor

Post by nybor »

Good call. You will be amazed. I have my dingy upside down in my lab, cleaning it and installing the chap tie down patches, when I tried the 3M on the hypalon. It removed ALL of the discolored gunk etc. on it as well. Everything I see, I am trying it on. Seems like a miracle product. (hmm, i wonder what its SPF factor is - maybe as sunscreen too?)

dave