Elbow for Universal Heat Exchanger

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

saileagleswings

Elbow for Universal Heat Exchanger

Post by saileagleswings »

Can anyone provide the source for the large elbow that screws into the Universal heat exchanger.
The elbow has a flat square top.
TBOT422

Re: Elbow for Universal Heat Exchanger

Post by TBOT422 »

My HE happens to be sitting in my garage freshly cleaned and painted ready to be reinstalled.

I went to look at it. It looks to me to be nothing more than a standard brass elbow fitting (male to female) plus a male NPT to hose barb fitting.

The M35B parts manual shows it to be part number 036614. Description is "Elbow - Hose 3/8NPT to 1". I am pretty positive that the hose barb on mine is 3/4 not 1". I cannot confirm the NPT size, but suspect it is also 3/4. But I am pretty sure it is NOT 3/8NPT!

If I am correct that it is a 3/4NPT street elbow, here's one on e-bay http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231028552716?lpid=82

Discount Marine Source shows 036614 as being 3/4NPT to 1 and sells it for $28.95
http://discountmarinesource.com/p-5605- ... 36614.aspx
However, I would be REAL sure about the discharge hose size before ordering it. I am pretty positive that mine is 3/4".

Why in the world would you be looking for this elbow? I can not imagine it ever failing.

Good Luck
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
saileagleswings

Re: Elbow for Universal Heat Exchanger

Post by saileagleswings »

I bought a spare Heat Exchanger from Mr Cool becuase the clamps on mine failed and I
liked the clamp design on the one from Mr Cool. Why not just buy the clamps? Well the clamps were about a 1/3 of the cost of the Heat Exchanger so I just bought the whole thing. However, it came missing the elbow.

Catalina moved the location of the anti-siphon loop sometime during the production and probably changed the hose size at that time. So yours may be different from mine.

The description of the elbow is misleading. I believe the male threaded end is 1" and the hose end is 7/8" ID. We will see. Why do I want one? I don't ever want to remove the fitting from the original heat exchanger and I want to carry the original as a spare ready to go. That is why I want an exact duplicate of the elbow for the new one.