Y-value for Head Intake?

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's head here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

KevinMc

Y-value for Head Intake?

Post by KevinMc »

We just took ownership of hull #59 and during the survey we noted the head flushes the bowl fine but doesn't bring in seawater. The previous owner said he kept the seacock closed and used fresh water from the shower to flush. We struck a deal and I have a new toilet still in the box to install. Looking at the plumbing in the cabinets today I noticed what looks like a Y-value with a separate water line. I'm guessing it's a fresh water line to pull water from either the fresh water tank or its a pressurized water line. Has anyone else seem this setup and if so - where's the second line coming from?
Attachments
y valve.jpg
y valve.jpg (97.05 KiB) Viewed 4662 times
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
william vanwagoner

Re: Y-value for Head Intake?

Post by william vanwagoner »

From your photo I am guessing the y-valve is connecting a water supply into the head intake line. This line could be connected to the forward water tank? My preference is to avoid a direct connection with the potable water system to eliminate the risk of siphoning water from the toilet, or in your case, possibly the head inlet sea cock if it was leaking or opened. I plumbed in a hose to the sink drain hose allowing me to use fresh water poured into the sink for flushing or salt water. My installation is written up in the November 2006 Mainsheet magazine entitled "fresh water flush upgrade" which you can view from the technical articles section of the c350 website. There are several photos that show some of the detail under the sink which might be helpful. Good luck.

Bill VanWagoner
Destiny #229
Bill VanWagoner
Destiny #229