Water in transducer compartment (forward cabin)

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

sailorbob

Water in transducer compartment (forward cabin)

Post by sailorbob »

We find water in the compartment in the forward cabin floor, where the knot meter and depth sounder transducers live. It happens even when the boat is out of the water, so the transducers themselves are not the source. The water appears to be coming from farther forward, under the bow water tank. The dealer suspects it may be the hose connecting the anchor locker drain to the outlet in the hull, which may have split from winter icing. I've also seen a post in this Forum regarding a rubber seal in the windlass.

Has anyone encountered water in this location? Better yet, has anyone solved it?

Thanks.

Bob
"Second Wind" #301
RsqDiver32

Re: Water in transducer compartment (forward cabin)

Post by RsqDiver32 »

I had the same problem when I took delivery last fall and sailed her back 90 miles in the rain. You may want to check forward of the water tank the next time it rains or you are pounding into steep seas. If there is water trickling down from the forward storage compartment under the V-berth, it will rule out the water tank, which is further aft. My problem appears to be at the anchor roller and I've read other forums addressing this same issue on other 350s. I'll let you know more next month when I bring her back to the dealer to get it repaired.
william vanwagoner

Post by william vanwagoner »

Another possible source of the water. After the heavy rains here in California, I noted for the first time, considerable water in the knotmeter depth sounder area. I also found a few drips of water on the access panel beneath the windlass. I think that water is somehow leaking around the windless and running down the inside of the liner where it drops down and runs under the forward birth. Anyone else have a leaky windlass?

Bill Van Wagoner
Bill VanWagoner
Destiny #229
dvolkman

Post by dvolkman »

We have the same problem (hull #261) and haven't yet found the source of the water. It doesn't seem to be salt water and we have noticed it after sailng and sometimes after rain. We have a tendency to fill the forward water tank until it's FULL and I'm wondering if it's some spillover.

If anyone has found the source on their boat, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,

David V.
S/V Electric Ladyland
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

One potential point of entry is the plastic/nylon fitting for the anchor locker drain. All that chain dropping on it can crack it. Easy to verify. Put a little red food coloring in the anchor locker and run a hose in it. Red or pink in the forward cabin bilge will tell you very quickly. The problem is that the anchor locker is not easily removable/serviceable.

It also does not hurt to caulk the bases of the bow pulpit (between deck and SS), as there are wires for the bow light running down through one. Just mask the deck close to the SS and mask the SS itself and use your finger to work calk into the slight gap.

It is a bit awkward, but with a strong flashlight it is possible from the area under for forward berth/water tank area to see forward to the area under the anchor locker. That may tell you whether the water is coming from the anchor locker or from a location further outboard and running down the inside of the hull.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL