sail trim and selection - heavier air

Post your technical questions or solutions about getting the best performance out of your boat here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

william vanwagoner

sail trim and selection - heavier air

Post by william vanwagoner »

I would be interested in hearing how C350 sailors are setting up for stronger winds. I have seen a number of posts talking about sailing in 25 knot winds and how well the boat handles. My experience with the stock 135 genoa and mast furling main is that when the apparent wind goes much above 17 to 18 knots or so the helm is balanced adequately by dropping the traveler, but heel remains excessive and I understand the 350 is best sailed flatter. This weekend I was out in 21 to 23 knots of apparent wind and simply could not get a useable genoa shape when furling in a few turns (though I get a very adequate main sail shape when furling in the main) . The stitching on the uv shield finally failed ad a result of this drama and the sail needs repair. I am thinking about having a luff pad put in to get a better shape when reefed, and am also considering a smaller genoa for such times. Does anyone have experience with a luff pad and how well does it work? Also, any hints on sail trim, reefing, or sail selection you have found to work well with the 350 during different wind conditions would be appreciated.
Bill VanWagoner
Destiny #229
R.B.

Re: sail trim and selection - heavier air

Post by R.B. »

Not sure how much I can answer your question since for me it all depends on sea state, point of sail and strength of wind. I have the furling main and the factory 150 genoa. I have sailed with full canvas up to 20 knots,on a fairly calm lake. Last weekend we were out in 25-29knots of wind, 6-8 ft waves with fairly short period about 10 seconds. We had the main reefed a little and the genoa reefed with about 110% out. On a beam reach we were heeled to were the water was running just below the bottom ports in the cabin. We tacked, the wind increased and the rail was almost in the water. We furled the main some more until the ride was comfortable again. When the genoa is reefed a lot in strong winds it tends to luff quite a bit. We keep tightening up the sheets and until it doesn't luff and making sure we keep on point. A few degrees off and she starts to luff.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
dvolkman

Post by dvolkman »

We sailed in moderate winds this summer (20 - 30 kts) and found that reefing in the main to about 50% (it's got the in mast furling) and reefing the jib down to about 40% kept the boat sailing very well and fast. We spent about 8 hours sailing from Newport to Mystic, CT in rain and heavy downpours with 5 to 8 foot seas. The wind was steady at 25 to 30kts. The boat did heal a bit...but not excessively and we averaged about 6.5 knots SOG. In that case we didn't let the traveller out. The boat seemed very balanced with a steady helm. The only other thing to mention is that I always move the genoa cars to keep the foresail properly trimed. The car should be in a position so that if you drew an imaginary line from the clew to the luff...it would bi-sect it. The more sail you pull out...the further back the genoa car should be.

Hope this helps!
David V.
william vanwagoner

Post by william vanwagoner »

Thank you for the responses. You mention you furled in the genoa to about 40%; do you have a luff pad to help with shape? I have not been able to get a good shape (buldges out in the middle) when putting in more than a few turns.

Thanks,
Bill
Bill VanWagoner
Destiny #229
R.B.

Post by R.B. »

Bill,

I pulled the Genoa in from 150% to about 110% So the clue was close to the stays. Yes the shape does start to go and no I don't have luff pad. This is the only sail I have for the furling. I do want to purchase a few more different sizes, but that will have to wait. For now we are making due :)
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

The luff pad will help, but do not expect it to give you a good tight luff when beating upwind. The luff pad will certainly help verses no luff pad, but you will still probably loose about 20 degrees of pointing ability if you do not want the middle part of the sail to luff when pointing. As mentioned, when you reff the jib, you need to move the lead forward too.

I find that in heavy air, about 20-25 knots, that I can furl the main completely, and just sail on the 144% genoa. My Genoa is not high cut, it follows 1” above the life lines all the way back. The helm remains balanced, and I can point as high as ever. I did this in a race just this past weekend. My helm was good, and the boat was doing 6.4 knots through the water beating to windward. The rub rail was about 6 to 12 inches out of the water on the gusts. As I’ve mentioned before, when you are this far over, you need to close the sink and shower through hulls.

Bill on TRIUMPH