What oil for the companionway hatch boards?

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

PHerzfeld

What oil for the companionway hatch boards?

Post by PHerzfeld »

Hi all,

The hatch boards for the companionway on our boat (hull #55) are in serious need of some restorative oil. They're very dried out. Can anyone recommend what type/brand of oil to use and how often to keep them looking good?
Phil
Paramethia
Hull #55
wolfe10

Re: What oil for the companionway hatch boards?

Post by wolfe10 »

We varnished ours-- Captains Varnish. Look great and protect the wood from drying out/cracking.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
sailorbob

Post by sailorbob »

We are firm believers in Sikkens. We've used that on our hatchboards, and for many years on the teak on the 350's predecessor, a Catalina 30.

Preparation is very important, so if your boards are in bad shape now, I would suggest a good scrubbing with on the teak cleaners, then let the boards dry out thoroughly and go apply 2-3 coats of Sikkens. Once that's done, you should not need to touch them again for the season, maybe two seasons. And then when you do treat them again, just a thorough cleaning and a light sanding will be all the prep needed, in our experience. As much as loved the look of our teak on the 30, it was a lot of work, so we appreciate how little exterior teak there is on the 350.

Bob
"Second Wind" #301
sailorbob

Post by sailorbob »

Sorry, I should have read it before I posted it! -- it should read - "one of the teak cleaners."
Hans Grasman

Post by Hans Grasman »

Sikkens worked great ! I used it in February for my weather boards.
First coat was messy because I painted them first one side while they were on sheets of paper on work bench.
Decided put small hooks in one end of each of board and hang them in work shop to paint.
Is hell of a lot easier and faster to work that way.