Autohelm 4000

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

R.B.

Autohelm 4000

Post by R.B. »

Does anyone have an Autohelm 4000 installed on their Catalina 350?

The dealer sold me one during the show, but informed me yesterday that it could not be installed (I am supposed to take delivery this week). If anyone as one installed, can they forward pictures and info on the install. I don't want to fork over the $$$ for the 6000 model at this time.

Thanks,
R.B.
R.B.

No Autohelm 4000's eh?

Post by R.B. »

Well if no-one has an Autohelm 4000, which Autohelm do you use?

Thanks,
R.B.
Tim April IV

Raymarine (Autohelm) ST5000+

Post by Tim April IV »

April IV has an Autohelm/Raymarine ST5000+ below deck autopilot - installed at commisioning. Love it. Interfaces with my Raymarine RC425 GPS/Chartplotter.

Not sure if any of the wheel pilots are compatible with the Edson "Diamond series" pedestal like we have on the C350.

Good Luck!
Tim Brogan
April IV C350 #68
Seattle
R.B.

ST 5000+ install pictures

Post by R.B. »

Thanks Tim,

Is it possible the next time you are on your boat to take a couple of pictures of the install below deck? Specifically how the drive is mounted on the bulk head and on the quadrant.

Thanks,
R.B.
Triumph

Autopilot install

Post by Triumph »

From everything I know, you cannot use the 4000, as the drive motor interfers with the pedistal. I looked at it every which way before giving up.

I installed the autohelm 5000 myself, and I might still have all that info and pics. Let me know at cullensailor@gmail.com if you plan to do the install yourself, and I'll do more digging.

You will need the rudder arm from catalina if there is not one on your boat. Take a look at the rudder shaft inside the boat and look for a brass arm about 12" long, off slightly to starboard, attached to the rubber post.

If you do not see this, call Warren Pandy at Catalina in Largo and purchase one. Cost is about $250.

The other issue you might have is where to mount the head or control unit.
Last edited by Triumph on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R.B.

Auto Pilot

Post by R.B. »

Thanks Triumph,

The boat is being delivered Friday. I'll take a look at it more closely on the weekend. I guess another option is to try the Simrad Wheel Pilot W32. It looks very easy to install. No drilling except maybe for wiring. Same price as the Autohelm 4000.

R.B.
Tim April IV

Autopilot Pictures

Post by Tim April IV »

Hello R.B. - I do have a couple of pictures of the below deck autopilot installation. Not very good pictures, but pictures, none-the-less.

Here's a shot showing the rudder post and the attachment of the drive arm to the quadrant:

This shot shows more of the drive unit. It is mounted with bolts up through the step at the stern of the boat - imagine standing at the wheel, looking due aft and then down at the swimstep - you would see the rounded heads of 4 bolts in a diamond pattern near one of the ladder mounts.

Hope these give you some ideas.

Good Luck!
Tim Brogan
April IV C350 #68
Seattle
R.B.

Post by R.B. »

Thanks very much. Your pictures certainly give me a better perspective of the install.

-Ralph
dvolkman

Re: Autohelm 4000

Post by dvolkman »

OK, I know I'm a few years late adding to this post...but we bought our boat used and it did not come with an auto helm. For those of you who have installed one yourselves...how hard was it to do. We're good with projects and tools...but I know that area under the pedestal is small...so is there anything we should know before takling this project? We plan on waiting until next fall.

Thanks,

Dave V.
Electric Ladyland
Triumph

Re: Autohelm 4000

Post by Triumph »

Doing this yourself is not that difficult, but takes time, and a little grunting. No blood though. I suggest you look at another 350 with the autohelm installed and take notes and pics.