Considering a replacement of my rotary Aire

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's air conditioning here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Murphysox

Considering a replacement of my rotary Aire

Post by Murphysox »

The current rotary aire by Westerbeke is acting up with a ghost in the machine. It will work fine then decide to change functions on it's own and buttons are no longer working until they start working again after 10 minutes or so for some unknown reason.

It seems no one has parts for these things in the Annapolis area and when you see the parts online for sale they want big $$$ for non-returnable electrical parts.

I would love to try a new controller but its $425 plus tax and shipping chance of it working.

I'm about to order a new Dometic 16k btu

Has anyone made an a/c unit switch? What brand did you buy and how do you like it?

Thanks!!!
Murphysox

Re: Considering a replacement of my rotary Aire

Post by Murphysox »

I was able to keep the system working throughout the summer. The odd behavior I still have is when I try to adjust the temp. setting up or down, the system often will do other functions like go into dehumidifier mode. When I leave everything alone, it works fine.

If anyone replaces their system (for other reasons) please save the interior black control panel and I will buy it from you.

Bob
Fiftybucks

Post by Fiftybucks »

i am currently replacing webasto with dometic turbo 16000 reverse. i have not run it yet. i will at the end of Dec. I will post back on performance.
Cheers Hull #380
Murphysox

Post by Murphysox »

I'm still hoping to find a used interior control panel for the Westerbeke rotary aire

How did you make out with the new system?
Murphysox

Post by Murphysox »

I didn't want to try to solve the electrical problem so I replaced my rotary aire (westerbeke) with an entire new system.

The compressor runs great and it gets very cold, and I saved all the parts. If someone is in need of a compressor or anything from the original Rotary Aire system then let me know.

Bob
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Murphysox wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:40 pm I didn't want to try to solve the electrical problem so I replaced my rotary aire (westerbeke) with an entire new system.

The compressor runs great and it gets very cold, and I saved all the parts. If someone is in need of a compressor or anything from the original Rotary Aire system then let me know.

Bob
Bob,

So "inquiring minds want to know" what did you go with?
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Murphysox

Post by Murphysox »

I bought the Dometic 16k BTU from West Marine and also the extended warranty.

Install took me about 6 hours but I think I could get it done in 3 hours if I had to do it again.

Need to remove all of the stored items in the locker, remove the shelves, remove the duct work connection, remove the old wiring and housing Take out the old unit and install the new unit in place then then needed to extend the water hoses because the connection is on the opposite side.

I've been pleased with the results.