Condensate drain

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's air conditioning here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

SeaBreeze

Condensate drain

Post by SeaBreeze »

My 2003 Catalina 350 has the original Westerbeke Rotaryair AC unit enclosed in a box plenum in the starboard cockpit locker. Does anyone know how the condensate is removed from the boat?
Rick
Sea Breeze
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
leigh weiss

Re: Condensate drain

Post by leigh weiss »

Rick,
On our boat the condensate drain is the second small outlet above the waterline on the starboard side. One drain is the cooling/heating water for the AC.
A hose comes from the bottom of the AC pan and is gravity fed to the drain.
I had to replace both of these through hull fittings as they deteriorated from sun exposure or old age. I chose Polished SS as the replacement.
It was a tight spot to remove and replace. The anchor locker drain through hull fitting also suffered from the same condition and was also replaced.
Have fun crawling in tight spots.
Cheers,
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
SeaBreeze

Post by SeaBreeze »

I took the AC enclosure apart. My condensate drain is a venturi that sucks condensate into the sea water discharge line as its leaving the condenser.
Rick
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Rick -

If you have a chance, I''d be very interested to see a picture of the venturi setup in your condenser drip pan. I have been thinking about doing the same.

Ours drains into the bilge and we either suck it out at the end of weekend with a shop vac or come back to a smelly boat the next Friday.

Also, do you have a check valve in the suction line from the condensate pan for safety?

Bob
Guinevere
Guinevere
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Mermaid makes a kit for removing condensate via the water pump discharge line.
https://www.mmair.com/marine-division/a ... ndensator/
It has the Venturi device, check valve, filter and needed fittings. I've had one for many years and it works great.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
SeaBreeze

Post by SeaBreeze »

Bob
Sorry for the slow response. I was wrong. No venturi. Gravity drain.
Rick
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze