PLEASE POST SOMETHING!

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

nybor

PLEASE POST SOMETHING!

Post by nybor »

There haven't been many (any) recent postings. I hope you know that Ken gets $56,000 a year to host the site. So, he is basically getting paid to do nothing! Surely there are things to discuss. For example. I want to add a third 4D battery. Should I change all the leads to the other two to make them the same length?

(i know this should be posted somewhere else, but i am too lazy to go there)

dave
wolfe10

Re: PLEASE POST SOMETHING!

Post by wolfe10 »

Dave,

Sounds like you may be suffering a slight case of CABIN FEVER.

I would combine the original two to make one larger "parallel battery". Put the other one on the other cable (or replace the cable with a longer one to reach the under-settee area just forward of the battery compartment).

That would leave you with one bank with approx 400 amp-hrs and the other with about 200 amp-hrs, using the current battery switch. This also leaves the two batteries (2-1) paired in such a way that the two connected are the same age and technology. Certainly best of all three are the same age and technology, but not worth replacing two good ones to achieve it.

Brett
2004 C350
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Even though Brett posted a terrific answer to the question, I feel duty bound to add a few comments to justify my meager $56,000 a year (before taxes) salary !

I did exactly what Brett did - combined 4 golf cart batteries into one large "house" bank that is controlled by position 1 on the battery selector switch. I added a starting battery under the settee and controlled it via position 2 on the switch. The early death of lead acid batteries results from deeply discharging them. By having a 400+ amp hour house bank, I can go a lot longer between charges without taking the batteries below 50% discharge. With this arrangement, the leads to the battery switch are long enough so the only additional wiring you will need is the jumpers between the golf cart batteries.
Here's a diagram of what your final configuration should look like:
Attachments
Series_parallel battery configuration.JPG
Series_parallel battery configuration.JPG (22.59 KiB) Viewed 7415 times
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
zman18

Post by zman18 »

Ken,
Do the 4 golf cart batteries fit under the nav seat where the current 4D batteries sit?
Thanks
John
John Zoda
Compass Rose
Hull# 484
AynB

Post by AynB »

Yes, four golf cart type batteries fit just fine beneath the nav seat. Much easier to handle and to deal with. You will have to add a pair of correctly sized cables to jumper the new batteries.
You will also need to make a new brace (wood) to keep the batteries in place should you roll.
Most folks just jumper the new cells to make two 12 volt equivalent batteries, but there is some literature that suggests jumpering the cells to balance the four batteries as well. Your choice. I went simple.

I suppose that you 'could' find a golf cart battery that would not fit, but from our research, there's a limited outside dimensions for the class of battery. Rule of Thumb: get the heaviest batteries, as they will probably have more lead in them, thus more amp hour capacity. They will all put out 6 volts, the question is : for how long.

al
jbd3

Post by jbd3 »

Loving my 350 Esperance #394 for +5 years now.. Got it with Solar vent, Garhauer adjustable jib blocks, Inverter, in supremely good shape. We have added 4 golf cart batteries (T145s) which fit fine with minimal woodwork to make a new tie down. We added the Balmer 80amp alternator and an external regulator along with a Xantrex Linkpro to keep tabs on all things electrical along with a house/starter battery setup to max available house amps. Ham HF and marine SSB which is not terribly relevant on the Great Lakes but I got a kick out of talking to European ham operators maritime mobile while in Canada. KISS counterpoise and vertical wire antenna from the motor lift to an auxiliary block on the top spreader. Davits to simplify dinghy management and a portable Honda generator just in case. Symmetrical spinnaker and a storm jib from our old 28. AIS was a simple upgrade to add to the C120 Raymarine chartplotter. What's not to love about these Catalina 350s? Happy to answer any questions I can and hoping to see more ideas from other owners. It has been quiet lately...
wcconway

Post by wcconway »

To set the record straight, Ken Krawford nor any other officer gets paid to support the C350IA.
Wally & Coco Conway
, #467
Pensacola, Florida