how much bottom paint?

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

davcom44

how much bottom paint?

Post by davcom44 »

Greetings.

I would like know how many gallons of hard bottom paint are needed for a Catalina 350 for two and a half coats. Also what is the typical Labor rate/hour to change a cutlass bearing, and the amount of time to do this. The rudder does not need to be dropped, nor the shaft pulled or cut. I am in Punta Gorda, FL.

I know there is a lot of experienced sailors on this forum, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Dave C.
KenKrawford

Re: how much bottom paint?

Post by KenKrawford »

Dave, I'm not sure if Pettit Trinidad is considered hard bottom paint but I was able to get 1 coat per gallon.
Regard the cutlass bearing, I'll be curious to hear how yours will be changed without dropping the rudder. I considered changing mine the last time I was out of the water but couldn't see a way to get the bearing out without pulling the shaft. Maybe the shaft bends more that I realized, but it sure looked like it wouldn't go past the rudder. There have been posts about raising the engine and pulling the shaft forward but this approach seemed as bad as dropping the rudder. Let us know what happens.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
AynB

Post by AynB »

When we had our cutlass bearing replaced, we had to drop the rudder, and pull the shaft. Unless your bearing is quite proud of the deadwood, there is nothing to grab to pull it out and you can't pound on it from inside the hull with the shaft in position.
al

PS: Agree with Ken, about a gallon to a gallon and a half a coat.
lazy dog

Post by lazy dog »

Dave, I had mine painted with Micron 66. They used 3 gal to do 2 and a half coats. J+R did the job. They are in Placida and did the work at Charlotte Harbor Boat storage. They charged $800 to prep and paint (paint not included). They also did the cutlass. Had to drop the rudder. Their charge for that was way over estimate. I would not use them again. I have another mechanic here in Punta Gorda who I would trust to do it.
Bob
Lazy Dog #123
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

At one point, hull number 280 or so? Catalina changed from the nylon cutlass bearing to a bronze cutlass. If you have a later hull, you can grab the bronze cutlass and wrestle it out without dropping the rudder or lifting the engine. If you need to, you can cut away an inch or more of the fiberglass that encloses the cutlass to get a better grip on it. This is per the factory.

Recall that there are set screws for both types of cutlass bearings that you need to back out.

Bill on TRIUMPH
davcom44

Post by davcom44 »

To all

I knew about the issue with the cutlass bearing. Kai Lani's is bronze and is at least 1.5 inches proud of the dead-wood. The bearing is replaced and the labor rate was $75/hr. but the time was 3.5 hours. Prop was removed and replaced, and my understanding was the bearing was not hard to get out. Maybe they had issues, but to me the labor time seems long. I estimated three gallons to do 2 and a half coats. For salt water 2.5 coats seems to be recommended by the marina's I talked to. All my previous experience has been freshwater.

I ask the questions for a sanity check on my part. Thank to everyone for responding. Happy Thanksgiving.

Cheers
Dave C :D