Sailing from Annapolis to Houston

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

jonnjones

Sailing from Annapolis to Houston

Post by jonnjones »

I am in the process of taking my boat from Annapolis to Houston, TX. Currently, am just north of Charleston, SC. Going to use the ICW (both Atlantic and Gulf) most of the way. I am always open to suggestions - local knowledge, ICW tips, liveaboard tips, etc.

Will be solo much of the trip, so if anyone wants to come along for a part of it, please let me know. I'm posting our progress on the Wind Orchid Facebook page if you are interested in following the trip.

This will be about 2500 miles. Anyone out there attempted a long voyage in a C350?

Hope to benefit from the collective wisdom of the C350 owners.
Jon and Lori Jones
S/V Wind Orchid
Annapolis
Hull #273
wolfe10

Re: Sailing from Annapolis to Houston

Post by wolfe10 »

Jon,

We have done Galveston Bay (Kemah) to the Bahamas a couple of times.

Take the Okeechobee waterway across FL to save a couple of hundred miles going all the way around FL.

Check with Indian Town Marina for "Billy the boat tipper". He will allow you to get under the RR bridge. Has done our 350 a couple of times. Water depth on the waterway is fine (you will take Route 1): http://w3.saj.usace.army.mil/h2o/reports/r-oke.html Do check depth, as it can drop below 6' at which time I would not take it. Here is the line you will look at: Navigation Depth (Based on 2007 Channel Condition Survey) Route 1 ÷ 8.63'

Probably stay in the ICW from Ft Myers to the Clearwater area OR daysail offshore (out each morning, in in the evening). From there to Apalachicola is a single overnight-- the only "have to" overnight of the trip.

From Apalachicola you can day sail offshore: out Pt St Joe, in Panama City then Destin, then Pensacola (can't go inside because of 50' bridges. From Pensacola to Houston you can take the ICW.

Shoot me your e-mail address if you want further info on the trip.

And two people will be a LOT easier, particularly in locks.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
saileagleswings

Re: Sailing from Annapolis to Houston

Post by saileagleswings »

Check the Salty Dog Southeast Cruisers site, http://cruisersnet.net/, as you head south as well as Active Captain for the latestest ICW information.