How far can we go?

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

dvolkman

How far can we go?

Post by dvolkman »

I had a great time sailing our 350MkI this season and did head out in 25 to 30kt winds over Labor Day weekend. The boat handled it just fine with some shortened canvas. While I know there will always be storm conditions and wave heights that the boat can't handle...I'm curious how far people have gone on their 350's. Has anyone sailed to Bermuda? Any Blue Water cruising?

Thanks,

David V.
s/v Electric Ladyland
Hull #261
dvolkman

Re: How far can we go?

Post by dvolkman »

I guess since no one has responded, it means no one (who as looked at this post) has taken their 350 offshore? Does everyone sail in a bay or inland waterway? Is it true that we shouldn't venture far in these boats?
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

I was hesitant to answer your post because I'm a strong believer that it's not so much the boat's ability, but the skipper and how he prepares and handles the boat. There are many of us that have crossed the Gulf of Mexico, the Gulfstream on our way to the Bahamas, and made offshore trips up and down the coasts. Sailing in the Pacific Northwest can be challanging, and we have several skippers that manage this geography successfully with thier 350's.

I think the longer you sail the boat, the better you get to know her ability. We will all probably judge the 350's ability to sail offshore differently based on how well we know our boat, and our own abilities .

------------now on the lighter side, when people ask me how far I've sailed .... I answer; "Until the beer is half gone". :D
dvolkman

Post by dvolkman »

Well, now that we've owned the boat for two seasons...I'll report that this past summer was the best I've ever had from a sailing standpoint. We took the boat on a three week trip up the Long Island Sound, to Mystic, Ct., then to Narragansette (sp?) Bay Rhode Island (Wickford & Jamestown), went to Cuttyhunk, Martha's Vinyard, and Provincetown. We stopped at a few towns in Buzzard's Bay along the way back as well.

The boat sailed beautifully. We had four aboard for the entire trip, and never felt crowded. We had mostly great weather, but there were a few stormy days and wild seas that would be been downright scary if we still had our old Catalina 30. That said, I think the 350 deserves recognition in Catalina's historical line-up! Fun, great boat that has taken us far and we still have plenty of places to see!

David V.
hull 261
S/V Electric Ladyland
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

I agree with Triumph's post-- a lot of "what is (safely) doable" has to do with the skill-set of the skipper and crew.

That said, I consider the 350 a great "Coastal Cruiser". Do we do Gulf of Mexico crossings on our trips from Texas to the Bahamas-- yes. But only when we have a pretty good assurance that we have a reasonable weather window.

We have done a lot of offshore miles in previous "Bluewater Boats"-- most of them in a Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37'. But, for two couples the 350 is superior to the Crealock 37'. My brother and his wife are partners with us in the boat, and often join us when the boat is in nice cruising areas. Said another way, they also enjoy shooting and eating lobsters.

There is no ideal boat-- the 350 is a great coastal cruiser that comfortably accommodates 4 adults, is fun to sail and motors well. It would not be my choice for open ocean work.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
nybor

Post by nybor »

A couple of years ago, my buddy and I sailed from Venice FL to Varadero Cuba. Nice trip, no problems with the Gulf Stream. However, now that Cuba is closed to pleasure vessels, we are planning on a trip to Isla Mujeres (Cancun). I was going to ask if anyone had done something similar, but if not, I will report back to the group........ (if we planning on going in December (2023). If I don't respond by 2030 call the coast guard please)