The Demise of the Catalina 350

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

KenKrawford

The Demise of the Catalina 350

Post by KenKrawford »

It looks like the 350 is history. Its replacement is the Catalina 355. It is supposedly a scaled down version of the C 445.

http://uk.yachtworld.com/core/listing/b ... 12184&url=

http://www.bymnews.com/news/newsDetails.php?id=73023

My thoughts - Catalina seems to be having a hard time determining their line up of boats. Eight years doesn't seem like a very long lifetime .

Your thoughts or comments?
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Ray Edwards

Re: The Demise of the Catalina 350

Post by Ray Edwards »

Layout kind of reminds me of a C34 (I had one for five years), liked the aft head for easy access underway, wonder with low profile cabin top will they maintain head room below, important to me being 6'3" (34 vs 350), wonder if they are doing anything will hull design from waterline down i.e. with prop shaft clearance for prop size (cavitation issue) ---- I'm still not satisfied with the new 14/10 replacement (boat speed ?), Also hope they do something with waterline placement vs 350, if you place equipment boat is designed to carry i.e Panda generator, add dingy davits full fuel tank/water tank, weight of hot water tank, refrigation, air conditoner, current 350 waterline placement gives appearance of stern "squating" (will be raising/adjusting waterline on the yacht "Maria" during this winter haulout), the C350 has higher freeboard than the 34 & 36 and kind of like this both for appearance and comfort in sailing, if the 355 lowers this i.e. the 445 vs 440 & 42 sure it will look sleek but ?????

Bottom line, I'm for anything Catalina does to stay healthy and help maintain the value of my current Catalina, I have had the pleasure of working at the Annapolis boat show the past two years before heading south below the frost line and will be doing it again this year so will be looking forward to checking out the "new" 350 at the Catalina display but have a feeling my C350 will be a "keeper" for all reasons other than maybe the "new boat smell"?

Ray Edwards
C350 -- 293
"Maria"
lyle

Post by lyle »

IMHO the C350 was a great layout (the main reason I bought the boat) and still sailed well to boot. I would not have bought the 355. I agree - my boat is a keeper!
Richard Ad

Post by Richard Ad »

It makes business sense to change designs every now and then for two reasons. Im sure there are more but these two come from my business logic: 1.) Some owners "need" to have the newest design and the first of a kind in their local waters. Remember the Mazda Miata? Dealers were selling them for $2k to 3K over list because of the buyer's "need" to have the newest model and the first Miata on their block. 2.) Take the Catalina 36, which in my opinion is one of the best sailing Catalinas built; however, after building thousands of them the used 36 market starts competing with Catalina selling new 36's. Catalina wants to sell a new 36 for $120K plus; however, it's pretty easy to find a really nice used 36 on the market for $30K less. Adam Smith's invisable hand of supply and demand; equalibrium always finds the price point so you change one of the factors, in this case "supply". Summary: combine buyers needing the newest model with supply changing and Catalina can improve/maintain their price point. This will also help keep the price of our 350's up. I love my C-350 and one feature that I don't want to give up is the walking space in my salon when I have my small table installed. Would like to have a horseshoe settee but I sit there such a small precentage of the time. EOM
tranquil

Post by tranquil »

First, thank you for posting this. I agree with you, 8 years is hardly a minute in boating years. Continuing collaboration for parts and supplies is now even more important than ever

Teri
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
william vanwagoner

Post by william vanwagoner »

I wonder if this is a replacement for the Catalina 34, not the 350? This would be my bet
Bill VanWagoner
Destiny #229
Golden Handcuffs

Post by Golden Handcuffs »

I don't get why they are doing this. I wouldn't want a 355.

I've seen the specs on the 355. It's about a foot smaller in all dimensions (keeping in mind that a 350 is actually bigger than a C36). Funny though, the 355 weighs more than the 350! Weird.

One thing that has always confused my about Catalina's lineup is that the 350 and 375 are so similar that it hardly seemed worth having the two different models, but they've sold way more 350's.
wcconway

Post by wcconway »

The C355 was announced at the Catalina Mid-Atlantic Rendezvous this weekend in Solomons, Maryland. Frank Butler, et al, were there so that should make it official.
Wally & Coco Conway
, #467
Pensacola, Florida
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

This just gleaned from a post on the C34 web site:

Guys : I have just returned for the East Coast Rendezvous. Gerry Douglas gave a pitch on the C355. He kept mentioning "Off Shore" in the structure, construction, fwd water tight bulkhead etc.

So I asked the question " You have mentioned Off Shore a number of times. Does this mean the C355 is an off shore boat rather than coastal cruiser?" Gerry neatly side stepped a direct answer of yes or no. So I'll let it to your imagination.

He was also asked if the C355 meant that the C350 would be going out of production? His answer was that the C350 would still be built as long as there's a demand.

This last statement would seem to contradict a post on the C350 mailing list that the 350 is already out of production.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA