Anchor light

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

tfleonard

Anchor light

Post by tfleonard »

Hi all,
I am a new owner of a used 2008 350MKII. The anchor lightis not working and I was trying to find a test point at the base of the mast. I want to see if I am getting power to that point before sending someone up the mast. Any ideas?
Tom
KenKrawford

Re: Anchor light

Post by KenKrawford »

Hi Tom,

Congratulations on the "new" boat. Welcome aboard.

Underneath the sink in the head just above the bilge you will find a terminal strip. On my boat the top row has a black, white, red and green wire on the top row. Below that you should see a black, yellow, orange and purple wire. The red-orange pair go to the anchor light. To tell if you have current going to the mast, put a multimeter on the black and orange wires and check for 12 volts. This will tell if you have power from the electrical panel to the wiring going up the mast.
If you have any other questions, let us know.
To help other people that may have this problem in the future, it would be good to post something like this under the Electrical & Electronics section.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Hans Grasman

Post by Hans Grasman »

Ken,
My decklight on the mast is out. Before I hoist my wife up the mast :-) can I check the wires under the head sink and if so which ones ?
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Hans, on my boat the green wire goes to the deck light. There is a copy of the C350 manual at http://www.hellersolutions.com/C350/res ... Manual.pdf. On page 37 (the page label on my pdf reader says 38) there is a diagram of the mast wiring but the colors are different than I found on my boat. Probably the easiest way to tell would be to open the electrical panel door and look at the color of the wire feeding the deck light breaker.

If you have the original deck/steaming light that came on the boat, you may have an issue with then lens cover falling off allowing the bulb to fall out. If that is the case you may have to call Hella and see if a replacement is still available. I had to replace mine a couple of years ago.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Hans Grasman

Post by Hans Grasman »

Ken,
Thank you for the quick response !
I am in Nashville but plan to go back to Burnt Store Marine Fl. in late April or May to "summarize" the boat and will look into this.
Have to replace the raw water pump, also need the replace the end caps and gaskets on the heat exchanger.
Last year it was the Schaeffer furler unit.
Do not know about you all but I figure Belcourt costs me $10,000. annual on docking, bottom cleaning, insurance and maintenance. It is energy efficient with using only about 40 gallons a season.
One boat in our marina is called $timulus I with the S as a dollar sign.
Guess if you name you boat after a family member who is a stay at home spouse you can write it off. :-)
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Hans, I think the best boat name I ever saw was called "Endless Expense". The name says it all!
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
tfleonard

Post by tfleonard »

It turns out that the elusive splice was in the mast. The boat has a Selden mast and there is an access panel about 3' above the deck. Tom
sailorbob

Re: Deck light

Post by sailorbob »

Ken, I think the lens cover on our steaming light fell out some time ago. I found a broken piece of glass on the deck one day a few years ago, and I bet it was the lens cover (there isn't one there now). The bulb has not (yet) fallen out and the deck light still works. How did you contact Hella? Did you replace the whole light, or were you able to replace just the lens cover? Did Hella charge you? Seems like things like that shouldn't just fall out!

Thanks.

Bob Fine
Second Wind #301
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Bob - I called Hella and spoke with their customer service rep. Try 877-224-3552. I lost mine after about 2 years of ownership and they replaced the lens and bulb as a warranty item.

Good luck.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA