New Owner

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

tjl2000

New Owner

Post by tjl2000 »

I am in the process of purchasing a 2 year old 350 (2004). I would apreciate it if anyone can give me information I should know about before I actually take ownership. The boat looks to be in really great shape, I am told this boat sails well with a great deal of stability is this your experience?

Would you recommend this model boat?
Any thing I sould know about before I close?

Any feedback would be apreciated, I am upgrading from a Catalina 25.

tom...
Jack McDonald

Post by Jack McDonald »

Hello Tom,

Congratulations on your new boat! It sure is a lot of fun to sail it.

Some areas of goodness: very stable in high winds; responsive; very confortable under sail and at anchor; super easy access to electrical systems; reasonable access to most plumbing areas (some can be tight fit though); good quality materials used (the Garhauer stuff is nice); "fit n finish" looks good; lots of storage; excellent standup shower!; easy and convenient sail controls. I'm sure there are others, but that is off the top of my head.

Some areas of concern: refrigerator; cavitation/vibration. Catalina is working with another C350 owner to resolve the cavitation/vibration problem. (Some of us have never experienced that problem.) As for the refrigerator - well, give it a try, maybe it will be fine for you. If not, watch this website and the Sailnet listserve to see how others are dealing with it.
Jack
Friendship
C350, #80
Chesapeake Bay
jnnielsen
Site Admin

Make sure you sign up for the c350ia list serve as well

Post by jnnielsen »

Tom,

Many of us subscribe to multiple list servers, including me. Do, however make sure you sign up for the c350ia list server as well. We added that so we didn't have to depend on other people to have a list server

Send an email to

c350ia@catalina350.net

with the message

subscribe

in the body of the email. You don't need to put anything in the subject area as it is ignored by the list server.

Jerry Nielsen - C350IA webmaster
Triumph

You'll love this boat.

Post by Triumph »

Bill here, owner of TRIUMPH since May of 05. This is boat number 17 for me. I've owned, raced, and sailed on many, many boats. I've had a hunter, beneteau, o'day, pearson, and others.
This boat sails very well. They other comment you have from the other owner is right on. And I'm they guy dealing with the vibration noise by the way.

Only thing he forgot to mention, was that we all have scares on the front of our shins. You'll get yours before too long. It's how we recognize one another. You get them from stepping out of the cabin into the cockpit.

Great boat, i have no regrets, and niether will you. Best of luck.
Bob V.

Post by Bob V. »

Tom,

Congrats on your new boat. We bought hull #363 which was delivered to us last June. Have spent much time cruising the San Juans and Gulf Islands since then. We love it. Problems are few and not too serious. This is the first new boat for us and the first with a freezer/frig. I suspect that is where all of our battery drain goes. We will need to upgrade the electrical system if we are to spend more time on the hook than in the marinas. I have noticed some cavitation but seems not to be a problem if I bring up the rpms gradually. Sails great but I think it would be nice to add a cruising spinnaker.
Someday...
Hull # 363
Tim April IV

Lagoon Point

Post by Tim April IV »

Bob - I had to go look at my chart to find Lagoon Point (northwest side of Whidbey Island, smack dab in the middle of Admiralty Inlet).

Where do you moor your boat? We have ours at Shilshole.

There seems to be a growing number of 350 owners in the Puget Sound area - maybe we have enough to start thinking about getting a fleet together?

Welcome aboard!
Tim Brogan
April IV C350 #68
Seattle
Bob V.

Post by Bob V. »

Hi Tim,

We keep it in the back yard. Lagoon Point is a community that has canals between the streets. Some of the houses are adjacent to the beach and some are adjacent to canals. We have to check the tide height when we come and go across the entrance but the canals always stay deep and are fairly well protected.

I think your idea of getting a fleet together is great. I would like to meet some of the other 350 owners and maybe do some trips together.
Someday...
Hull # 363
tjr350

Post by tjr350 »

8) Tom,
Good luck with the purchase of your 350. I think you will love the boat. I know we do. We owned a Gulf 27, a Catalina 310, and now a 350. It is a great sailing boat as long as you have at least 6kts of wind at a minimum. They are big and heavy and prefer big winds so anything less than 5 or 6 knts, you may as well fire up the iron genny. The accomodations are great too.
Tim
Nora Clare
C350 #332
wgary

Hello Tom

Post by wgary »

We purchased a used 350 (hull 137) in November 2005. We are enjoying the space, equipment and especially the surpising performance while under sail. 8)

This is our 2nd boat. The first was a Coronado 25 and we sold it 25 years ago. We are getting used to all the equipment on the 350. And ours came with a Dutchman flaking system that we are getting used to.

We live in Tacoma WA but keep our boat at Elliott Bay Marina. It would be great to start a fleet in the Puget Sound. Welcome aboard! :D
Gary & Chery Williamson
Gary & Chery Williamson