Where do people grill?

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

dvolkman

Where do people grill?

Post by dvolkman »

Hi All. For those of you in warmer climates, I hope you're sailing this weekend. I'm sitting in NY watching the seagulls outside pick mussels for breakfast while I wait for spring! In the meantime, I've been thinking about buying a propane grill for the boat...but curious where people are mounting them. I haven't been on my boat for a few weeks and since we bought it in November, there wasn't time to get to know it properly before putting it under shrinkwrap for the winter. Is there enough room on the sternrail forward of the seats to mount a grill? Yes, it's answers to really dumb questions like this that get us through winter! :)

Dave V.
s/v (we're still trying to decide on a name)
hull #261
KenKrawford

Re: Where do people grill?

Post by KenKrawford »

Dave,
I mounted mine on the port side stern rail just outboard of the swim platform gate. I have a Magma Catalina grill and find that this works fine. The bimini covers most of the grill so if it is raining a bit, everything stays dry. No problems with the bimini getting hot either.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
tom

Post by tom »

Check out this website http://www.galleymate.com/index_files/Page472.htm - excellent marine grade stainless steel bbq made in Australia but I think they export. I have a Galleymate 1000 and have fed up to 12 from it. It mounts very well on the starboard rear rail of my 350. Comes with a neat canvas cover. Two options re. grill - full plate or half, might as well get both. Better check they come with US gas fittings. Try a de-boned leg of lamb marinated overnight, works a treat.

Regards, Tom McGrath, #278 - Sydney Australia.
Fat Cat

Post by Fat Cat »

We have the Magma Catalina grill, too, mounted on the starboard side stern rail. It worked fine until we had our first smoke show, and then wondered how greasy and dirty the bottom side of the bimini might look if we keep that up. I thought it might be necessary to dream up an installation whereby it could be mounted slighty farther astern, and then be outside the cockpit enclosure, as well. You would then be standing on the swim platform turning your lamb.
R.B.

Post by R.B. »

We used to use the round Magma grill as well, but for the reasons mentioned above, we did not want to get the new enclosure sooty or greasy. We now use the Weber Q110 portable BBQ. Much better heat and surface area. It fits in the aft cockpit lockers for storage. When we grill, we put it up on deck or take it to a picnic table.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
eatkins23

Re: Where do people grill? Magma-LPG connection question

Post by eatkins23 »

I recently purchased a Magma Kettle grill and looking connect it to my port side spare 10# LPG gas tank. It will be connected only when needed for grilling. I prefer not to use the standard 1# LPG disposable gas bottles.
What is the best way to connect a Magma Kettle grill to a spare 10# LPG tank (Seaward c-910) on my Catalina350.[/b] Do I need a propane gas hose with a low-pressure valve built-in or will the Magma Blue pressure On/Off valve for the grill work to manage the pressure at the correct level.?
Is there an alternative to the Magma recommended "T" adapter connection & low pressure valve to my existing LPG tank connected to my stove. I appreciate any advice with specific solutions and parts needed.
EAtkins
Cat350-#10 Grand Marnier II
eatkins23
"Grand Marnier II"
C-350-#10
Stamford CT