reinstalling the mast

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

pieterv

reinstalling the mast

Post by pieterv »

Can anyone tell me the tension on the shrouds when I reinstall the mast on my Cataline 350, # 36
I looked at websides but could not find this information.
Look forwards hearing from anybody.
I am new to this webside and new to the Cat 350.
Pieter
SV Marianne
R.B.

Re: reinstalling the mast

Post by R.B. »

Hi Pieter,

I don't know the tension using a Loos tension gauge but I setup the mast in the spring by first making sure the mast is centered. I use the a halyard to touch the toerail on both sides. Once centered I tighten the shrouds evenly on each side one half turn at a time until the shrouds deflect about an inch by pushing on them. Check to make sure you are still centered. I then go for a sail in about 10 knots of wind. On a beam reach, see if the shrouds on the lee side "waggle" in the wind. If they do, head into the wind and tighten the same shroud on both the port and starboard sides by one half or one complete turn depending on how loose the shroud was. Again go on a beam reach and check for too much "waggle" in the shroud. If there is slight movement in the shroud you are OK. Now go on a beam reach in the other direction and check the leeward shrouds. They should be the same. This should get you close.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
Tim April IV

Re: reinstalling the mast

Post by Tim April IV »

Two thoughts:

Don't forget that once you've retensioned the shrouds and stays that you will need to make sure that the engine/shaft are properly adjusted/aligned

If possible, it would be cool if someone took some digital pictures of the top of the mast, the base of the mast, and the mast step on deck where the mast sits. All of these areas are generally inaccessible to many/most people - unless they happen to have their mast down, yet having picture references can help greatly when planning for various projects. Besides that, I'm just a curious guy.

Good Luck!
Tim Brogan
April IV C350 #68
Seattle