The perfect Boat

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

jackpaley1

The perfect Boat

Post by jackpaley1 »

"None Yet Again" Catalina 350 MKII 2007, has been nearly perfect. After 11.5 years the original batteries are finally nearing the end of their useful life. Has anyone had recent experience in buying replacement batteries ? My son-inlaw and his friends say "no-problem" lifting the original batteries.
Everything on the boat is original and still in great shape. Any thoughts on what I might expect to fail in the near future ? The boat is at a slip in Boston (Charlestown) Massachusetts, and is hauled every winter. Thanks, in advance. Jack Paley
wolfe10

Re: The perfect Boat

Post by wolfe10 »

Jack,

Welcome.

If the batteries are the same as in the 2003, they will be two 4Ds. Many of us have gone with Lifeline AGM's.

As far as "what will go next"-- much of that answer depends on what Preventive Maintenance you have done over the last 12 years. Not sure any of us can answer that.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
scott.monroe

Post by scott.monroe »

Wow! Jack that is impressive! Generally 5 yrs is max for wet cells! AGM's are certainly the way to go as they don't have to be removed in the winter and have slightly better charging profile. With a pair of good backs you shouldn't have any trouble hoisting the old ones out. If you aren't familiar with the battery cabling make sure to draw out a good map (neg. terminals are connected together), or take a couple of pictures of which cables go to what location on the battery. Check the battery cable connectors as well, look for black around the wire itself and certainly take a wire brush to the connector. Another good idea is to write the date (mm/yyyy) on the batteries with a sharpie, helps keep track of the # seasons.

Regarding your other question, what else could be lurking on the failure list. Assuming you have done annual maintenance on the engine, impellers and such, I had to replace my exhaust hose this year (I have a 2006), showed signs of cracks through out and exhaust leaks are not a good idea (not that any were detected yet). It is also a good idea to keeping tabs on the water hoses on the engine, fresh and raw. My raw water hose leading to the heat exchanger was starting to show bulging (aging), so replaced this season.
Scott Monroe
C350 #409 / Southern Yankee
North Kingstown, RI
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Jack, I'm a big fan of flooded lead acid golf cart batteries. I'm getting ready to replace my 10 yr old Trojan T-105's. I have 4 of them configured into 1 large 420 amp hour bank. Early battery demise results from deeply discharging a battery (more than 50% of capacity) before recharging. This gives me 210 amp hours before I have to run the engine or plug in and is quite adequate considering how my boat is used. You will soon realize the other major benefit of golf cart batteries when to get ready to lift the 100lb 4D batteries out of your boat. :(
Welcome to the forum.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
elk

Post by elk »

I just replaced my batteries with 4 Duracell GC1's, like last month. Got them at Batteries plus Bulbs in Salem, NH, so just a short drive from Boston. Order them online and pick them up and save 10%. I got them for $80 each, no sales tax, and they'll count the 2 big batteries as 4 for core charges. At that price I'll be very happy to get 5 years from them.

Good luck.
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
ps23435

Post by ps23435 »

Also a fan of golf cart batteries for their ease of installation (and replacement), availability (got ours at Sams Club) and price. As to lifting out the larger originals, wife and I did that on our own without any blocks, tackles or special setups. Just lifted them out and slowly up the steps and off the boat. Heavy but not unmanageable.
Pete & Anita
Slip Away #437
Hampton, VA
hperros

Post by hperros »

It seems that there is no definitive answer as to which of the two batteries types (wet, AGM) is the best. I decided to go with 4 6-volt Interstate batteries, and I am very happy with them. I only had to add some water after almost a year. The total Ah is 440, which is plenty of juice. If you go for 6-volt batteries you will need to make new cables and also new wood blocks to keep the batteries in place.

The old 4Ds are very heavy, but as other people indicated, they can be removed by two (older..) people in small steps.

Also, I read in the forum that it is okay to deplete the batteries down to 50%, but my understanding is that the batteries should not be depleted more than 20%-30%. Maybe this is a very conservative estimate. At any rate, while at anchor, I have never depleted the batteries more than 20%.
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

A significant aspect of our decision to go with AGM is their location. Lack of out-gassing and lack of sulfuric acid fumes in a confined area in the main salon strongly suggested AGM's. Year after year, they continue to be spotlessly clean and no out-gassing.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL