Scam alert

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

SeaBreeze

Scam alert

Post by SeaBreeze »

An FYI for anyone who has their vessel documented. Today I received a letter from Maratime Documentation Service in Montana. The letter is a reminder that my boat documentation is due for renewal. It gives a phone number and email address for renewal. I called the USCG documentation center in West Virginia and was told this company, while legit, charges 3 times the normal renewal fee to process your renewal for you. The process takes me 2 minutes to do on my own when I get the official USCG renewal letter from the WV center. They also claim (for 3 times the standard yearly cost times 3) to handle your renewal for 3 years automatically even though the USCG documentation center only does annual renewals. The gentleman I talked to at the documentation center says he has had multiple people call to complain that their multi year renewal was not processed. That’s not the documentation center’s fault. While this busines known as Maratime Documentation Center is a legit business according to the USCG, to me it smells like a scam to be charged 3X the official rate for a “service” that takes a boat owner 2 minutes plus the cost of a stamp. You are also giving up your personal information and credit or debit card information. I got this scam like letter 4 months before my documentation was due for renewal. Save yourself some money and wait for the renewal letter from the real documentation renewal center.
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
sargentef

Re: Scam alert

Post by sargentef »

We got the letter from "Maritime Documentation Center", a courtesy notice for vessel renewal today. We called the "Center" and asked to be taken of their mailing list and were hung up on. Sound familiar...in todays robo/fishing/scam call diarrhea.

Thanks for the heads!
Erik
Air Mobility

Re: Scam alert

Post by Air Mobility »

They are still out there. They now charge $375 for a five year renewal. Don’t be scammed.

George Fisher
S/v Air Mobility