Newbie heads out

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

wolfe10

Re: Newbie heads out

Post by wolfe10 »

Battery choices:

2 4D AGM's, though some have gone with 4 golf cart 6VDC batteries which have to be wired in series/parallel. Very close to the same capacity (420 amp-hrs for two 4D's and 440 amp-hrs for 4 4CT 6 VDC's). The 4CT's are a little taller at 9.92" (vs 8.64) so make sure you have the height if considering the 6 VDC's.

If not comfortable with wiring, replace with the 4D's and wire exactly as they are now (label the wires and take a picture before removing the old ones).

Yes, because they are in the main saloon, I would absolutely go with AGM's, as they out-gas only under severe over-charging.

Lifeline 4D AGM's are a very good choice.https://lifelinebatteries.com/products/ ... s/gpl-4dl/

As far as vibration, how loose were the engine mount bolts discussed above??? Engines moving around DO vibrate!

As far as stove parts, just do an on-line search for the brand of your stove or call Catalina: 727 544-6681
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Fiftybucks

Post by Fiftybucks »

to Wolfe.... that idle seems to be lower than a few months ago... maybe 680... not 1000..
Ordered stove knobs from CDirect
Cheers Hull #380
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

For Seaward stove parts, another source is Sure Marine Service - https://www.suremarineservice.com/Galle ... e=37,39,39
I've used them in the past and found them very easy to work with.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

If you elect to go with AGM batteries make sure that your charger is set to charge them properly. If you have the stock Charles charger the switch is located on the back of the unit and requires dismounting the unit to change/verify. Kudos to the engineer who designed that feature!
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Fiftybucks

Post by Fiftybucks »

so... with the charles charger the last/lowest switch on the circut panel should be in the 'OFF' position? I know i recently turned that on.
but with the Xantrex.... why would i need the charles ? I'll turn off the the breaker..

Anyone have a photo of their macerator setup? looks like mine has been removed.
Read Up on Holding tank... duh... does not have macerator... have to do the unplug routine...
Cheers Hull #380
Fiftybucks

Post by Fiftybucks »

to all.... since conversations have switched from the actual voyage, to systems... I will continue to ask for assistance in the proper forum areas..
THANKS.... you have change my outlook and I'm now looking to improve the onboard systems, electrical, plumbing, navigation etc...
Cheers Hull #380