Chain lock

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Dave DeSalvo

Chain lock

Post by Dave DeSalvo »

I am considering moving to an all chain rode. Has anyone installed any kind of chain lock to hold it in place when the hook is down or up for that matter?

Thanks for any help you give.

Dave Desalvo
wolfe10

Re: Chain lock

Post by wolfe10 »

Dave,

We just use 20' of 3/8" three strand anchor line as a snubber for our all chain rode. Secure it to the chain with a rolling half hitch. Never had an issue, and the 3/8" offers some stretch before yanking the chain off the bottom.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
AynB

Post by AynB »

I have to second Wolfe10's comment. I learned long ago , not to hard attach the all chain to the boat. You have to have some type of snubber to absorb the shock loads whilst on the hook. I custom made a "V" plate with two lengths of 5/8" line to hold the chain. Think of a plate with a notch in it to receive the chain and then two long rabbit ears of rope. The two lines then get tied off to the two bow cleats. Works like a charm. If I apply the system from beneath the chain, it all falls off when weighing anchor. We've used in at anchor in over 50kt winds and 6' seas. ( Really! )
As for a hard stop when the anchor is bedded, we use a trucker type heavy duty bungee that we switched out the cheap steel "S" hooks for good stainless steel ones. Been in service for 4 years now. Bring the anchor in, stretch the bungee and clip it into the chain. Not even the worst seas have sent the anchor over.
We have 200' of chain backed with 100' of 3/4" rode and have on three occasions wanted 300 feet of chain. We have used all of the main chain/rode and had to back it up with our secondary twice. But keep in mind, we sail the Salish sea and we have some seriously deep anchorages up here.
al
s.v.halona
Attachments
Not the best angle, but here's the "V" in action.
Not the best angle, but here's the "V" in action.
PICT2719.JPG (106.23 KiB) Viewed 6950 times
saileagleswings

Post by saileagleswings »

I use chain plate something like the one shown here: http://www.downwindmarine.com/Sea-Dog-C ... 92237.html. I bought mine at West Marine many years ago. It has never fallen off.

It is also possible to use a kellet for shock absorption although the kellet may be controversial: http://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-anchors/kellets.php; http://www.anchorbuddy.co.nz/
I made my own kellet using a mushroom anchor using it to try to reduce swing.
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

Just back in from another couple of months cruising on our C350. I have 165 feet of chain attached to 150 feet of line. I use a snubber when anchoring with the chain, that is, a hook attached to 30 feet of 5/8 three strand. I run the snubber over the bow roller when I attach it, then cleat the snubber to the cleat that is in the anchor locker. When I make a passage, I take the chain off the windlass, and I wrap it around this same cleat.

Bill on TRIUMPH