Fix for leaking salon sidelights

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

wcconway

Fix for leaking salon sidelights

Post by wcconway »

The stationary salon sidelights have begun leaking (again). Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so, what did you do to fix it? Silicone caulk?
Wally & Coco Conway
, #467
Pensacola, Florida
dvolkman

Re: Fix for leaking salon sidelights

Post by dvolkman »

For starters, I would suggest pouring water (maybe running a garden hose on low volume) over the portlights you suspect are leaking to determine if it is indeed a leak from there and not coming into the cabin from a screw or fitting. If you're sure it's coming from the salon portlights then here's some information which may help:

We replaced the main salon portlights on our Catalina 30 MkII, which were similar in design to the ones on the 350. The method was to CAREFULLY break the seal on the plexiglass window sections and pry them off. Then the entire area had to be scraped clean and then cleaned off with denatured alchohol -- you could use acetone, but it is harsher. Then you have to apply fresh butyl to the windows around the edges and the hull window frame. The window (or plexiglass portlight) is then pressed onto the hull. The extra butyl is then wiped off. We did this several years ago, and the new owner of the 30 has had no leaks.

I believe this is the same procedure the factory used on the 350s.

I'm not saying you need to pull and replace the plexiglass...you may just be able to spread some butyl around the exterior edges of the plexiglass. It dries pretty quickly and is messy but denatured alchohol will remove any excess while it is still wet. This is how the factory gets a waterproof seal.

You can buy the butyl from Catalina Direct.

I would suggest a call to Warren Pandy and see if he suggests anything differently. :wink:

David V.
s/v Electric Ladyland
wcconway

Post by wcconway »

Straight from Warren Pandy....
Instructions for installation/replacing fixed salon Plexiglas sidelights.

Our port side fixed salon sidelight starting leaking. We did not remove and rebed our sidelight, but we did remove all of the old sealtant and then ran a bead of the Dow Corning 795 (BLACK). Hopefully, in the next 24 hours we will know if it repaired the leak.
Attachments
INSTRUCTIONS FOR INST. OF CABIN HOUSE WINDOWS.jpg
INSTRUCTIONS FOR INST. OF CABIN HOUSE WINDOWS.jpg (235.43 KiB) Viewed 8372 times
Wally & Coco Conway
, #467
Pensacola, Florida
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

I cut away the old silicon caulk, cleaned it up real well. I ran a very small bead inside, then a larger bead outside. I then put a 25 lb lead weight in a pair of socks, and tied this to the hand rail above the window. It rested up against the window and pressed it in place while the new silicon caulk cured. Two days later, hosed it down and no more leaks.

Bill on TRIUMPH
randj

Post by randj »

Bill,
What type silicone did you use? I have just found a small leak and used a West Marine silicone product for a temporary fix.

Thanks,

Richard
R Boat Hull #193
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

Richard,

I haven't tried this, but it may be worth a try in your situation depending on how large the leak is. Last weekend a fellow boater loaned me some Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure. It is a highly liquid sealant, you can put a few drops around the edge of the window were it's leaking, and it will flow like water into the crack. In a few minutes it dries, and you add a few more drops until the crack becomes completely sealed. You can get it for about $15 at West Marine. It may not work in your situation if the crack is particularly large, but it might be worth a try.

Good Luck
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)