Heater installation

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

pieterv

Heater installation

Post by pieterv »

I like to install an Espar Airtronic D4 heater system in my 350 hull 36. But I first have to remove the Westerbeke air-conditioner !
The boat came from New York and I am in Vancouver BC, no need for AC here, but heat yes.
Has any of you done this? My biggest challenge will be to find a way to get an outlet in the head/shower.
Since all the ducking is already there from the air conditioner no ducking was put into the shower.
I am open for any suggestions you may have to get the ducking to the shower.

Pieter
Hull 36
lyle

Re: Heater installation

Post by lyle »

I would also look at installing a hydronic (hot water) heating system. I have an Espar D5 system on my Catalina 350 and it works very well - a much more even heat than forced air (I have used both). Also you have the option to have seperate control zones in each cabin if you wish or use it to heat your hot water tank (hot water at anchor without running the engine). It is also easier to install 1 1/2 inch water hose throughout the boat than 3 inch air ducting. I moor my boat in Ladner and would be happy to show you the installation if you are interested.

Lyle

"Serenity"
Hull# 363
Pgtjs

Post by Pgtjs »

Hi folks,

I know this is regard to old posts from 2007/8 but I am interested in the circulating hot water option instead of forced air heating as the pipe dimension seems more practical. if the owner of "Serenity" , # 363, is still Lyle, or indeed if there is a new owner, then I would really appreciate the opportunity to take a look at the installation - I live at Blaine WA which is not far from Ladner in BC.

We are planning to go to Alaska this coming summer and am told having heat on the boat is invaluable. If anyone else has heat installed I would appreciate details of their system and the chance to take a look the system if in the Pacific Northwest.
I had an Espar diesel system on my boat 20 years ago and it worked well but the ducting on the C350 will be difficult?

Regards to all,

Geoff,, "Takeo 1V", C350 #392. Semiahmoo WA.
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Hi Geoff
We bought Sand Dollar this past spring. The original owner installed a Wabasto Hydronic Heater. In this system the deisel furnace heats hot water which is routed to fan assisted radiators located around the boat. There are radiators in the aft cabin, galley, main salon, head and forward cabin. It works very well and you dont need to run ducting from the furnace all around the boat, just the 1" hot water hose. The radiators are fan assisted making it as a forced air system in each location. It has the additional ability to make domestic hot water without running the engine - great when you are at anchor and dont want to listen to the engine running.

Its the Webasto TSL 17, which is 17,000 BTUs and is plenty to keep the boat warm in the shoulder seasons we have on the West Coast. We have a total of 4 radiators with 7 hot air outlets. Each radiator can be ducted to two separate outlets. For example the radiator under the galley sink is ducted both to the galley side and to the main salon side. The radiator under the basin in the head is ducted to the head and to main salon, a total of 3 hot air outlets in the main cabin area. Again it works very well.

It cost the previous owner about $9 to 10,000.00 Cdn including installation. He had it professionally installed.

We keep the boat in Point Roberts WA.

Kirk
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA