Stern davits

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Hans Grasman

Stern davits

Post by Hans Grasman »

I am planning to install the stern (inflatable) dinghy davits.
There are two snap-on items screwed into the transom and two pads with locking device glued onto one dinghy pontoon.
Has anybody installed such a system? If so please share your installation experience. Also how did it fit with your outboard hanging from the boat sern while the dinghy is in the raised position.
Thank you for any info.
PS I either tow my dinghy or have it on the fore deck. But two weeks ago during heavy weather I failed to move my dinghy right behind the stern and left it on the port cleat while moving into the dock I tore of one of the dinghy towing rings.
Richard Collins

Post by Richard Collins »

Hi Folks,

I would like to install dinghy davits that are either the type that are removable or the type that rotate to fold in. Anyone have any comments or experience. I know some folks have had good experience with Kato davits but these, I believe are fixed.

Richard
s/v Eagle's Wings
jnnielsen
Site Admin

Weaver Davits (copy of email sent to Sailnet Mike Aston

Post by jnnielsen »

In response to Hans Grasman’s query on the 350 Association forum, I am responding here because I have forgotten my user name and password.
Hans: I think the devices you are thinking of are Weaver Davits (Google them). They are widely used by power boaters and virtually never used by sailors.
I have employed Weaver Davits on a power boat and they have held up under the pounding of 45 miles per hour runs so a sailboat mounting would present no challenge at all.
I would recommend taking the outboard off the dinghy when it is mounted on the davits. Weaver will tell you that it is ok to run with the outboard mounted but I had trouble with the glued-on attachments on the dinghy because some of those 40 mph runs were with the outboard left on.
Do not forget your motor will be on its side when on the davits. So a four stroke will have to be aligned correctly. Weaver sells a widget that keeps the outboard upright.
The reason you hardly ever see them on sailing boats is that the transoms of sailing boats are generally a lot narrower than power boats. This means that on a traditional sailing boat the dinghy will stick out beyond the sides of boat when mounted on the davits. Some fear that it might even drag its nose in the water when sailing upwind. I do not think this will be a problem with a small dinghy on the back of a 350 with its vast rear end.
A dinghy mounted on Weaver Davits will tend to block access to the swim platform so you will not be able to use the platform when docked. This may or may not be a problem. Obviously you will not be able to drop the swim ladder with the dinghy on the davits. (Probably not a requirement)
I remember reading an article a few years ago of a similarly mounted dinghy (I do not think it was a Weaver installation) that provided its 27 foot parent boat and owner with a lot of protection against following seas during a nasty little storm in the English channel so I personally would leave the dinghy on the davits if I got caught in bad weather. (You may want to make your own decision in that situation.)
I have not used other types of davits so I do not know how they behave in bad weather, but remember dinghies are held rigid in Weaver davits which I think is a plus.
If I ever get round to installing davits on my 350 I think I would use the Weaver system. It is a lot cheaper than conventional davits, is infinitely less aesthetically intrusive than conventional systems, is lighter and gives a slightly shorter overall length when the dinghy is mounted. However, so far I have got away with a piece of string and I cannot bear drilling holes in the gel coat.

Michael Aston
Windhover, hull#120
email michael.aston@brucepower.com
rwbower

Post by rwbower »

:?: I own Cat 350 #350 and I cruise allot in the San Juans Islands . I am considering an upgrade of my simple inflatable strapped to the transom of my boat. Currently, I am considering a Walker Bay Genesis with a St Croix 400 Rotating Davit system. Any comments on this choice would be appreciated.

Dr. Robert W. Bower (Bob)
Anacortes, Washington
I am interested in purchasing a dingy-davit system for my cat 350. Currently a Walker Bay Genisius and a St Croix 400 Rotating system look like it might be a good choice. Appreciate comments or suggestions