Exhaust Extension

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

TBOT422

Exhaust Extension

Post by TBOT422 »

I read in a Mainsheet a while back about someone who inserted a medicine bottle into the exhaust outlet on a Catalina 36 that eliminated the black exhaust deposits on the outside of the hull. I found that a 1-1/4" schedule 80 PVC pipe almost fit perfectly into our exhaust outlet. I cut a piece about 3" long, wrapped a couple of turns of tape on it to make it a little more snug, and lightly tapped it into the side of the hull. We'll see how effective it is over the next few months.
Exhaust Extension.JPG
Exhaust Extension.JPG (22.34 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
Captain Kirk

Re: Exhaust Extension

Post by Captain Kirk »

Hello

Your post is a couple of years old, was just wondering how this simple solution worked out for. I'm going try it myself.
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

2 years later. The same extension is still in place and it has greatly reduced the grey residue on the hull.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Excellent!

Thanks for the response, is a very simple add-on. I'm gonna do it too.

We haul out annually and get the topsides waxed almost every year. In the past 5 years we have been cruising for 2 1/2 to 3 months every summer, so I need to clean off the residue several times through the summer. Having a good coat of wax makes it easier to clean. But, love this solution so I'm off to Lowe's tomorrow.
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA