Cockpit Table Repair

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

TBOT422

Cockpit Table Repair

Post by TBOT422 »

Our cockpit table is beginning to separate at the hinge. It appears the core of the table top that the hinges are screwed to is separating from the molded table top. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you repair it? I am considering drilling through the table top and installing flush mounted through bolts to hold the 'sandwich' together then fill the hinge screw holes with dowel rod to provide a solid hinge connection. Another option would be to remove the table top and cut out the portion that is separating and try to bond some sort of replacement back in the space and hope it holds together for another 10-15 years.
Cockpit Table 3.JPG
Cockpit Table 3.JPG (23.5 KiB) Viewed 3978 times
Cockpit Table 2.JPG
Cockpit Table 2.JPG (21.6 KiB) Viewed 3978 times
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
Vindaloo

Re: Cockpit Table Repair

Post by Vindaloo »

My screws were broken out when the bimini installer step on the edge. I removed the table, removed the remaining screws, and filled all the holes with high strength thicken West Epoxy. Then redrilled and screwed the hinge back on. It has been trouble free for several years.
Vindaloo
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

Yes, but that's not my quandary. I know the second picture is not real clear, but my problem is that the wood core in the center table top seems to be separating from the molded top. Note the crack around the corner. The actual table top core that the hinge screws go into is loose and moving. I can't tell whether the entire core is lose or if it is simply delaminating plywood. Somehow I need to secure the core back to the molded top so that there is a solid base to attach the hinge or cut out the lose portion of the core and replace it.
Gary & Janet
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Because the shape of the table top really protects the plywood core from water intrusion, very likely this is just lack of enough glue/epoxy (whatever they used to laminate core to top and bottom).

Wonder if you can drill a couple of holes from the underside almost all the way through to the top and inject epoxy. Also fill the cracks around the perimeter and the holes for the hinges. Then drill and install the hinges.

Worse case would be to use a dremel to separate the table top from bottom, remove core and epoxy in new one. Would try the above first unless the cracks in the photo would allow for an easy separation of top from bottom/core.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
S/V LONG TIME NO SEA

Post by S/V LONG TIME NO SEA »

I have had the same problem with the cockpit table on my 2004 C-350. My first mate repaired ours by using a dremel tool, and grinding out any loose material then filled all the screw holes, and cracks with an epoxy. Let set 24-48 hours then realign piano style hinge with holes that were filled with epoxy. We drilled out smaller pilot holes, and used a little longer ss screw, and reassembled hinges. That was about 6 months ago, and is holding well!! We also had some small horizontal cracks in the top gel coat on table top center section which we sanded lightly and filled with gel coat then buffed and polished. You can still sell the lines of the cracks but it seems to have stopped anymore cracking.
jmcbraye@hotmail.com

Post by jmcbraye@hotmail.com »

How about using bigger hinges after regluing? Maybe a combination of gate type and piano hinges...
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

Sounds like it is time to break out the Dremel.
Gary & Janet
Social Distancing

Post by Social Distancing »

I am having the same issue on my 2006. How did the repairs go on your table? Interested to see if I should do the same and and recommendations.
Chris
S/V Social Distancing (#384)
eatkins23

Re: Cockpit Table Repair - replacement leaves

Post by eatkins23 »

I'm trying to replace my Cockpit Table leaves on my 2003 Catalina 350 - #10.
I acquired my 2003 Catalina 350 - Hull#10, 2 yrs ago. It was missing the folding cockpit table leaves and support strut.
Can anyone point me to a reference site to find the folding table leaf dimentions of the original Cockpit table leaves for the 350?
I plan to replace the original leaves that were lost prior my taking over the boat.
I have found Ken's reference for the Struts on the Catalina parts site. Thank you.

However, do you have an knowledge of replacement options for the table leave thems, or the original dimentions for the cockpit folding table leaves.
I'm thnking of using Teak or Mahogony boards for the replacement leaves.
I have searched the Catalina owners forums but no luck so far,
I appreciat any asistiance you can offer.

Thank you
Evan Atkins
2003 Catalina 350-#10 "Grand Marnier II"
Stamford, CT
atkins.evan23@gmail.com
eatkins23
"Grand Marnier II"
C-350-#10
Stamford CT
ElizabethG

Post by ElizabethG »

Hi Evan,

I have a 2004 C350, #193.

I'll be at the boat late tomorrow afternoon until Friday.

I have the original cockpit table and I'll be glad to measure the leaves for you and take a few pics.

I'm just not sure if your boat (2003 #10) used the same table as mine (2004 #193). I'm guessing it does...

Bill
Atlanta, GA (Home) / Charleston, SC (Boat)
russp

Post by russp »

Hi Evan,

Photos of my 2003 attached, OA length 870 mm, OA width 345 mm, but if I was building one I would make it a bit narrower, maybe 300 mm. A bit less table room but at 345 they nearly overlap the cockpit seats and make getting past the table when leaves are up quite difficult.
Attachments
IMG_9729.JPG
IMG_9729.JPG (79.5 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
IMG_9728.JPG
IMG_9728.JPG (63.76 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
russp

Post by russp »

And, as an addendum, if I was actually going to the trouble of building new ones as you appear to be, I would be installing a fiddle, or always use non-slip mats, or both!! Doesn't take much movement to have food or drinks all over the floor with the very hard surface of the table top and no retaining edge.
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
ElizabethG

Post by ElizabethG »

Hi Evan,

My measurements pretty much match Russ's noted above; 34.25" X 13.75 X 1.25".

As noted in the pics below, the leaves are notched to fit around the pedestal.

Also, my leaf supports are different

Bill
Atlanta / Charleston
Attachments
IMG_0042.jpg
IMG_0042.jpg (27.11 KiB) Viewed 1252 times
IMG_0041.jpg
IMG_0041.jpg (28.68 KiB) Viewed 1252 times
IMG_0040.jpg
IMG_0040.jpg (27.41 KiB) Viewed 1252 times