Bimini Parts for New Solar Panels

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

JohnForr

Bimini Parts for New Solar Panels

Post by JohnForr »

We added 4 100w solar Renology Panels to hull number "007" and one 65 Watt panel to dingy that is powered by 45 lb thrust Minn Kota Motor. In order to reinforce the Bimini we needed many connectors. The best place I found for end caps, hinged jaw clamps and jaw slides was http://www.ddthreadsplus.com
Al Baumgartner, Owner
D&D Threads Plus
298 Coon Rapids, Blvd. NW
Coon Rapids, MN 55433
P: 800-365-0691
F: 763-784-0175
www.ddthreadsplus.com
You can call Al, and they answer right away.
End caps with an eye are $6.84 and part number 88397SS w 2 set screws
Hinged jaw clamps are $13.70 #883661SS
Jaw slide heavy duty 2 set screws $6.84 #88399SS.
I like his parts best because some of them have 2 set screws. I could not get 90 degree elbows from him.
Also, I asked Renogy for a discount while on the phone and they lowered the price by about 7 percent. I did not go through Amazon because I wanted to talk to them on the phone. I talked to them several times.
John & Mary Jane Forr
Punta Gorda, Fl
Hull #007
canopus199@gmail.com

Re: Bimini Parts for New Solar Panels

Post by canopus199@gmail.com »

Could you post a few pictures I'm interested in installing a few solar panels
JohnForr

Re: Bimini Parts for New Solar Panels

Post by JohnForr »

I bought 1 inch brackets to hold solar panels onto the one inch stainless tubing from McMasters. They are stainless and they have a hard rubber lining that clamps on nicely and no rattles. I had to brace the Bimini and the tubing. The tubes going across the Bimini are 11 feet long. I have a half inch droop in the middle. It could be because of the span or the ends are too high. This was like putting an erector set together. Fortunately my neighbor is very patient. I still have tweaks and a plan to fix the half inch droop. However, the cost for the tubing and parts was very little compared to buying an arch or hiring someone to do it.
Let me see if I can post some pictures. Also, I decided to go with four panels. I could have easily gone with two and put them on my davits and that would have been much neater.
I used about 35 feet of tubing. I paid $5.50 a foot for 304 stainless tubing. The tubing ran me about $200; the clamps, jaw slides, slide ons, end caps and screws/bolts/ nuts about $300; and solar panels, meter and Mppt controller $850. Labor was free. It took two seven hour days. It took two three hour days of measuring and planning. I have a little more reinforcing to do. It was a fun project and learning experience. I also solared up my caribe rib.
I have more pictures.

If you want to spend a lot of money get an arch made and look very neat. They build a lot of those down here because we have a lot of flats boats.
Attachments
Solar meter and MPPT At chart table
Solar meter and MPPT At chart table
image.jpeg (41.33 KiB) Viewed 5244 times
MPPT controller
MPPT controller
image.jpeg (35.36 KiB) Viewed 5244 times
Stern tubing support
Stern tubing support
image.jpeg (54.28 KiB) Viewed 5244 times
McMasters brackets holding panel to stainless
McMasters brackets holding panel to stainless