Generator Installation

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

gmccombs

Generator Installation

Post by gmccombs »

Ahoy, I have a 2007 C350 hull #446 and will be installing a NextGen 3.5 KW generator.
Does anyone have any pictures or diagrams of their installation such as Raw Water thru hull
location, fuel separator location, electrical breaker/switching etc. I also was thinking about
contacting Catalina to see if they have factory specs/drawing of generator installation.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Gerald
digitalvillager

Re: Generator Installation

Post by digitalvillager »

Gerald-
We explored the NextGen when we were trying to decide between repairing or replacing I believe you have to separate the two halves of the generator to get them through the hatch opening which apparently isn't a big deal. The positive about the NextGen is that all the parts are off-the-shelf. The negative is that it is air-cooled (noise). I'm not sure you can get the noise reducing cabinet into the locker. I look forward to reading about your experience.
Charlie & Jeanne Monroe
PO Hull #285
Amelia Island, Florida
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

Gerld,
I have installed a nextgen 3.5 kw with sound shield in hull #155 in 2011.
Love the unit. It is water cooled and has a ventilation fan for the sound shield box.
I added two more air inlet/outlet cowl vents under the rear seat one on each side.
The fuel feed and return lines fittings were on the fuel tan making that an easy install.
I added a sea cock for the raw water on the std. side directly across from the engine raw water inlet.
The plastic conduit running from the generator area to the battery switch area made wiring fairly easy.
The 120 volt wires were run up to the rear cabin behind the valence cover and into the power distribution area.
I used a blue sea selector switch and the panel to switch from shore to generator supply.
Took a few days to install and has worked well ever since.
The boat is in Georgetown Md. for the summer and you are welcome to visit and take pix. If you have specific pix you need let me know and I can e-mail them.
Have fun with the install.

Leigh Weiss
weiss@rowan.edu
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
Pete Bruzik

Post by Pete Bruzik »

Hi - we had a netgen 3.5 installed and really like it. the sound shield does fit down there and we added a sound proofing material wrap on the outside of the shield as well - greatly lowered the noise level.
IMPORTANT - get the 110V blower rather than the 12V blower and have the gen automatically power it up when the gen starts. Otherwise teh batteries never finish topping out because when it goes off of bulk charge the amps used by the blower negate the charge level. We had the 12V blower on our first trip from Annapolis area to Bahamas and found this out - with the 110V charges perfectly.
2nd IMPORTANT item - with the gen you can run 3 of the four services (house 110, Hot water heater, AC or charger) but not the Hot water heater and AC at the same time. So house 110 is on then charger then chose AC or Hot Water.
We tapped off the engine intake with no issues - I have run the M35B engine for a days run (8-10 hours) with the AC on with no problems with water supply.
Best!
Pete Bruzik - PEKABU 3 - 2003 - original owner
Carolina.Mind

Post by Carolina.Mind »

I, too, have decided to install a generator. Did folks install the generator in the port lazarette on the flat area under the box extending from the aft cabin? If so, is the routine maintenance on the generator workable?

Any advice or pictures are most welcome.

David Johnson #377
Pete Bruzik

Post by Pete Bruzik »

Hi - The platform was designed for that purpose - working on it is do-able!
A picture show be showing of me down there!
Pete Bruzik
Pekabu 3
Original owner #107 (2003)
Attachments
Generator3.JPG
Generator3.JPG (50.98 KiB) Viewed 5912 times
Carolina.Mind

Post by Carolina.Mind »

Thank you. I trust you were able to also get out of the lazarette.
oktbrian

Post by oktbrian »

I want a generator and have been reading about the netgen 3.5 installation. I live in FL so now one is needed. I was told it would cost a lot of money to have someone install it (in the $$$ thousands). I was told I would be better off with a portable panda if I am not trying to live aboard and only use it occasionally. We wouldn't use the boat that often and I don't want to spend money I don't need to. Suggestions?
Henry2000boats

Post by Henry2000boats »

You’re right. Built in installs can be pricey. The good with built in units is that you’re using diesel with a seamless transition to power on. If you’re going the portable route; you may want to consider the 2.2 kw Honda unit. A lot of my buds have them and they don’t complain about it. You will need to have the cords and small gas can handy.
SubVet

Post by SubVet »

Magic Dragon (Hull #45) had a NextGen 3.5 installed when we took possession. It's a wonderful thing but can be a tad noisy if you have someone in the aft cabin. Still working on reducing the noise but so nice to be able to cool things down when the breeze is nil.
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

As a former owner of a 350 I thought I would add my 2 cents

The aft bulkhead on the 350s is paper thin. This is problematic for a couple of reasons but it certainly adds to the ability to contain noise from a Genset. The bulkhead is not solid either next to the hull so noise and fumes from the engine make their way into the aft cabin. If you were to have an engine fire it would not be good either

My first attempt was adding sound proofing directly to the bulkhead all the way across and that did not prove to be very successful

I then had a 3/4 in glassed over plywood bulkhead added that attached to thin fiberglass factory bulkhead from the aft all the way across. Then we added sound proofing over that on the transom side. This worked great. This also added strength to the aft and closed up the cabin from the transom holding in the air you want and shutting out the air you don’t along with the noise.

Hope this helps for those that seek a good nights sleep with the Genny running. Me, I prefer to not run it ever 🤭
Leslie West
S/V Tiki Hull 154
Docked Pensacola Florida
Henry2000boats

Post by Henry2000boats »

Hey Leslie, Henry Norris from Pensacola here. I remember your beautiful boat very well.(and sometimes regret not buying it!)

We bought a 350 which has a generator in it as well; the noise and fumes are doing exactly as you describe. Our AC return and supply grilles are in that bulkhead above the refrigerator. I had basically come up with the same solution as yours; but the grilles would continue to be a noise transmission factor. Did your boat have the grilles in that location? You had two AC units if I remember; (but the grille locations I don't). I don't know if it would be worth relocating the grilles; but the noise is substantial.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!