Reefing

Post your technical questions or solutions about getting the best performance out of your boat here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Fritzcw3

Reefing

Post by Fritzcw3 »

Anyone know how/where I can find a diagram of how to re-install my reefing line. My main was removed in my absence and the reefing line is now sitting in my garage. I have a single line reefing system that leads to cockpit. It goes through my boom also.
C. Fritz
Nautical Charm
2003 #90
wolfe10

Re: Reefing

Post by wolfe10 »

Have you contacted Catalina for a rigging diagram?
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
lazy dog

Re: Reefing

Post by lazy dog »

you can google single line reefing and get a number of drawings of similar systems that follow the same basic layout. Your most difficult problem will be to get the line back in the boom. Hopefully the people who removed it left a pilot line. If not you may be able to tape a cord to the boom lift line and use that to pull it to the other end of the boom and use the cord as a pilot line to pull your reefing line through the boom. Once you have the reefing line in the boom it's pretty easy to run it through the sail. Start at the aft end of the boom and run the line over the sheave in the boom then up to the reefing cringle in the sail then straight down from the reefing cringle and tie it around the boom.( you'll find a grommet at the bottom of the sail just above the bolt rope so that you can get it around the boom). Then go to the forward end of the boom. Pull the line on the sheave and up through the forward reefing cringle. Then down through the cheek block on the mast near the gooseneck and then and down to the block on the base of the mast. From there it goes back to the line clutch in the cockpit.