New sails

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

BillBerner

New sails

Post by BillBerner »

Hello all
Anybody out there have a new standard main &/or 135 genoa made for their boat.
If so, what loft did you use, are you satisfied, and of course what was the cost?
& finally, how big a difference did it meek to the boats sailing performance?
Thanks

Bill Berner
spartina #66
Stamford, ct
zman18

Re: New sails

Post by zman18 »

Bill,
Got both sails new this spring from Doyle sail in St Pete FL. You can definitely see the difference over the old ones.
John
John Zoda
Compass Rose
Hull# 484
SVHappy

Post by SVHappy »

Greetings from southern VT today where it's -4F!!!
Back to sails - has anyone added a new mainsail with vertical battens to work with the in mast furling? When I was at the Annapolis boat show this past October I asked all the sailmakers and only one said it isn't worth adding them, but the responses from the others didn't seem to fully endorse them but they would build what I wanted. I see that some of the new C's (including the 355) have vertical battens.
Any experience?
tedseward

Post by tedseward »

I had UK Sails in Annapolis make me a sail with vertical battens several years ago. I was great to have a positive instead of saggy negative roach, and improved performance. I did go through several evolutions though. First problem was battens were inserted from the top. Since they are 8 feet long that made installation and removal a real challenge for short person. UK redid them with insertion from the bottom, now held with velcro flaps. Also replaced thick battens with thinner ones to make furling and unfurling easier. Presumably if you went to UK Sails they would be ahead on learning curve based on experience with my boat.

Ted Seward
s/v New Horizons
cuthbert

Post by cuthbert »

I had a new main 5 years ago from Neil Pryde. Thin batten (a bit like a shirt collar stiffener) inserted from the bottom and velcroed in place. I never take them out, no issues.