Outhaul line length

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Paul

Outhaul line length

Post by Paul »

I would like to replace the outhaul line on our 2003 350 but cant find the line length in any documents.
We have a Charleston Spar in mast furling rig.
Is there a complete running rigging list posted somewhere that I am missing?
Thanks for your help!
Paul
Richard Thabit

Re: Outhaul line length

Post by Richard Thabit »

I just did mine. Previous posts suggested 48 feet. I used 51 feet and it gives me about 3 feet extra length so I can be better balanced when pulling out the mainsail. I sewed the old and new lines end to end and used 2 wraps of electrical tape to smooth out the "joint". I gently coaxed the lines and had to go back and forth a few times at the turn nearest the mast on the boom. Sailed yesterday and all is well.
Good luck.
Richard
Three Sheets
C350 #111
sailorbob

Post by sailorbob »

Over ten summers of use, the outhaul tail remaining after rolling the mainsail into the mast has gotten shorter, so that now I only have about a foot left. First, that means I have to pull it out by hand a bit before it will even reach the winch, and 2) I am concerned that further use will result in no tail at all, at least not enough to run it through the stopper.

I know that I don't have enough inhaul line on the screw in the mast, but I know that I can fix that once the mainsail is off the boat, by turning the foil inside the mast and winding up more line, but I am pretty sure this is not related to the outhaul line issue.

Any ideas why the outhaul tail is getting shorter, and what to do about it?

Bob
"Second Wind"
Hull 301
pdenoncourt

Post by pdenoncourt »

To Bob on Second Wind:
I don't know why your outhaul line is getting shorter. It never happened to mine in 10 years, but I keep my mast rigged year-round (FL). What you can do about it is replace the line with a new one - 48 ft is the original length of the old one. I recently replaced this line due to wear, and it was quite easy. Just sew the end of the new line onto the end of the old one, put some tape over the joint to keep them aligned, and gently pull the new line through as you pull the old one out.

Good luck!
Peter Denoncourt
KITE, Hull #72