VW800 windlass lever

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

nybor

VW800 windlass lever

Post by nybor »

Hi. Does anyone know the dimensions of the manual lever for the Maxwell windlass? I think mine was lost before I bought it.
thanks
NYBOR

ps. I know you can order it for around $100. But maybe I can get a machine shop to make me one for $99.95.
TBOT422

Re: VW800 windlass lever

Post by TBOT422 »

A piece of 3/8" x 1" aluminum bar stock about 14-15" long should work fine.

I measured the lever on our boat and it is much more complicated than that, but I don't know why. It has holes on both ends (I'm assuming to attach some sort of lanyard?). It has about 3.5" of straight then bends upward about 30 degrees - Why? maybe just to make it harder to store somewhere. It has a 1/4" roll pin near one end that I have no idea what it's purpose is.

If you can't find a piece of bar stock for under $100, let me know I'll ship you one for $99.95.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
nybor

Post by nybor »

thanks for the quick response!
I too noticed the bend on the website and I think it so that one can stand up a bit straighter.
I will get the piece and bend it 90 degrees, since I always have to have a better mousetrap!

dave
hmmmm, maybe 90 is a touch too much.
AynB

Post by AynB »

Ummmmm. The reason for the bend, is so that you can keep your knuckles intact when manually retrieving the anchor using the tool. One of the first things we tried when the boat was new to us was to use all of the low-tech systems to make sure that they worked and how they worked. Ninety will surely be overkill... :-)

Al
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

Al,

That's good to know. One reason I put all the description in was in hopes that someone could explain why it's made the way it is. Personally, I would not have thought about using the lever to actually turn the windlass and retrieve the anchor. I thought it was just for tightening the clutch. I suppose if you lost power and were trying to pull the anchor up in 20 knots of wind it might be nice to have a little leverage versus pulling the rode in hand over hand. However, I would think it would be much easier to just motor over the anchor.

Do you have any idea what the 1/4" roll pin is for? Is the lever also used for any type of disassembly for maintenance?

Thanks
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
nybor

Post by nybor »

Hi all. as usual, I need another favor! I see that there is a "lever" to loosen and tighten the clutch. I don't think it is the same manual one with the bend. I sure don't have it and can't find it online. Does anyone have pseudo dimensions for it?

thanks

dave