sail Jamming in mast due to burs

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

ldirubbo

sail Jamming in mast due to burs

Post by ldirubbo »

This year while hoisting our sail, we had problems with the sail jamming and getting stuck inside the mast half way furling it, and then we couldn’t get the sail out once it was jammed. Climbing the mast we noticed that there were some metal burs on the inside rod that seemed to jam the collar preventing it from spinning freely. We are going up to file and sand the rod smooth hoping that will solve the problem.

My question are; has this happened to anyone else, what could have caused this and how can I prevent it in the future? One of the trade’s people at the marina said that it is not uncommon and he has filed off burs on other boats with an in mast roller furling rig. Any advice would be appreciated.
R.B.

Re: sail Jamming in mast due to burs

Post by R.B. »

Usually mast jams are caused by the angle of the boom not being correct. Adjust the vang so that the leach is not too tight when furling. Otherwise the increased diameter of the rolled up sail will be forced against the aft, inside of the mast making it harder and harder to continue furling.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
ldirubbo

Post by ldirubbo »

Thanks for the reply

Lee
Aussie Mate

Post by Aussie Mate »

We had the same problem last year. There is a stop on the top of the boom that prevents the furling line from going any further forward towards the mast than that stop. We moved that stop by about 12 inches outwards towards the end of the boom which resolved the problem. We fixed it into place using a simple screw. Seems that changing the angle of the pull on the furling line is the fix.

Bruce Whyte
Aussie Mate, #357
Bruce Whyte
s/v Aussie Mate
C350 #357
wcconway

Post by wcconway »

We have a Mark II which has a Selden Mast rather than Charleston Spar and were told by Selden Masts to have the boom at an angle of 85 degrees when furling. We use the boomvang to adjust to this angle before furling and it has worked well for us.
Wally & Coco Conway
, #467
Pensacola, Florida
Chips Ahoy!

Post by Chips Ahoy! »

I had this kind of problem a few years ago...posted my sad story and solution to another's lament on a different discussion.
You might want to check this:
.....................................................................................
Don't know if this is your problem, but I had a problem with hoisting the Main....there are three hex set screws at the bottom of the furler...on the larger part of the thingy (sorry) that has the shackle which slides up the mast when you hike the main. A "tell" is if you see scratches on the forward inside of the mast...look inside from the back.

If so...the hidden set screw has backed out and must be reset.

Drop the Main and remove it...back out the hex nut that has the shackle attached. ...make sure no line is attached so she doesn't run up the mast.

Bring an Allen set...i have both metric and SAE and apolgize for not knowing the size needed.
Anyway, after removing the shackle, spin the "thingy" around and tighten all the set screws.
Your done.

Hope it works for you. It worked for me.
-george
-george pringle
Chips Ahoy! #232
Staten Island (Great Kills Harbor), NY
ldirubbo

Post by ldirubbo »

I want to thank all of you with the suggestions and they have been a great starting point for me. The problem turned out to be the collar that hoists the sail up. Although it seemed to spin without the sail up once the load from the sail was on it, the bearings would jam up. Charleston Spar and mast said that that was rare but once it was replaced the sail moved very easy.

The other problem the rigger found was the car on the boom isn’t sliding back easily when pulling out the sail. Because the car isn’t moving back far enough when pulling on it, it is actually pulling the sail down instead of out causing it to jam down. It became obvious when I was cranking the sail out you could see it happening. I went to the boom and with one finger moved the care back a few feet and the sail just rolled out with no problem. The rigger recommended I replace the car with one that has roller bearings in it allowing it to move freely. I have hosed the track and car with fresh water and used Mc Lub on it and the same think occurs. Has anyone replaced the boom care and what make have you found that works well for our type of rig. Most of my friends say just live with it, I tell them that I am geezerizing the boat for my old age.
johnjab

Post by johnjab »

My car on the boom was doing the same. Not moving back on its own. Once I started rolling the sail in with everything loose (main sheet, boom vang, topping lift) it rolls in easy and comes out easy. Make sure the main halyard is not too tight to.

John Jablonski
Therapy
Catalina 350 Hull #156