HELP!! In mast furling clunks

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

dvolkman

HELP!! In mast furling clunks

Post by dvolkman »

This is our second season with the boat (hull #261). Our Charlston Spar -- in mast furliing -- worked great last year...this year...the sail and furler when furled clunks in the mast when the boat rocks. It's LOUD clunk! Does anyone have any knowledge about what could cause this?? The sail and furling system works just fine so I'm not sure what has changed since last year.

Thanks,

David V.
s/v Electric Ladyland
Chips Ahoy!

Re: HELP!! In mast furling clunks

Post by Chips Ahoy! »

Don't know if this is your problem, but I had a problem with hoisting the Main....there are three hex set screws at the bottom of the furler...on the larger part of the thingy (sorry) that has the shackle which slides up the mast when you hike the main. A "tell" is if you see scratches on the forward inside of the mast...look inside from the back.

If so...the hidden set screw has backed out and must be reset.

Drop the Main and remove it...back out the hex nut that has the shackle attached. ...make sure no line is attached so she doesn't run up the mast.

Bring an Allen set...i have both metric and SAE and apolgize for not knowing the size needed.
Anyway, after removing the shackle, spin the "thingy" around and tighten all the set screws.
Your done.

Hope it works for you. It worked for me.
-george
-george pringle
Chips Ahoy! #232
Staten Island (Great Kills Harbor), NY
jking

Re: HELP!! In mast furling clunks

Post by jking »

Hi,
We have what I believe to be the same problem. With small waves the center post of the furling main bangs inside the mast and rubs on the sail while its doing this. We have the Charleston type of furling main. I called the company this week (Sept 2011) and they said that the main is not tight enough from top to bottom. My sail has stretched a bit and no longer has much tension as the main halyard hits the top stop before the sail is fully tight. I am going to try and do something to get the main sail tighter, and according to the company it will reduce the banging. I hope this helps.

J King
Hull 303 Friendship II
Belleville Ontario