Oil leak from Maxwell windlass

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

KenKrawford

Oil leak from Maxwell windlass

Post by KenKrawford »

I've got an oil leak coming from the site glass on the end of my windlass. I'll be calling Maxwell in the morning about this but wondered if anyone has run into this problem before. My manual says the windlass has a one year warranty but their web site says 3 years. Anyone know which is correct?
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

I think I've fixed the oil leak (I've learned from experience it may be months before you know you've fixed a leak). You can turn the site glass - it has a hex head and is threaded. That seemed to stop the flow of oil. BTW, the windlass does have a 3 year warranty.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Golden Handcuffs

Re: Oil leak from Maxwell windlass

Post by Golden Handcuffs »

Ken--

I think I've got this problem too. It looks like oil is dripping down from the windlass, and running down the access hatch board, and pooling a bit where the board meets the access opening. I'm finding a little oil slick on the shelf at the front of the v-berth, and a little bit of wood discoloration. It appears that this is a very slow leak/process.

What is a "site glass"? I want to check it out to see if the oil is coming from there, but I don't know what it is!
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

"Cuffs",

The term "site glass" in this situation is a bit of a misnomer since you can't really see it from the access port. I've shown it on the image below. The final outcome in my case was that I had to replace the seals in the gear box. It was still under warranty at the time so I got the seal kit from Maxwell. Needless to say the windlass has to be removed in order to do this. It's not terribly difficult but takes a bit of time. Don't forget to turn off the breaker before working in this area. Here's a link to an article on the C36 web site about basic maintenance on the unit. http://www.c36ia.com/files/Maxwell%20VW ... %202_0.pdf It will at least show you the basics on how to begin removing the unit.
In order to replace the seals, you need to remove the gear box (blue structure in photo). This is accomplished by removing the 2 hex head bolts that fasten the gear box to the motor.

If you are not willing or able to replace the seals, Maxwell can provide you with a list of service centers. Call Maxwell at (949) 631-2634 and ask for Joe Lima. He's quite helpful.

Hope this helps.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
lyle

Post by lyle »

I just pulled the gearbox and changed the gear oil. My leak seems to be coming from the main shaft seal at the bottom of the gearbox. Ken, do you remember where you ordered the Maxwell gearbox seals from?
Ray Edwards

Post by Ray Edwards »

I was able to order the seal "kit" thru West Marine, my leak was coming from the seal between the gear box and electric motor, appears that when the motor was mounted it wasn't flush causing the seal to go "out of round" and had a slow leak.
Was an easy project but need two people to remove and replace windlass, I didn't replace all seals just the one leaking and the site window. Now have all the other seals and O rings to store away for a rainy day project. And "No" you just can't buy the one seal you may need, got to get ther whole kit.
If you just want to check the oil level you need a mirror to see the site window.

Ray Edwards
C350 - 293
"Maria"
lyle

Post by lyle »

Thanks Ray,
Do you remember which seal kit it was. Nothing on West Marine's site references the VW800, which is our model. Is it the oil seal kit?
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

I left the chain in tention on my windlass for three months and now, I have the oil leak you all talked about. I think the leak is between the gearbox and the electric motor. I don't know for sure yet. I never had a problem before leaving like this. If this is the cause, then a word to the wise.

I just ordered the seal kit from West Marine. I read that the oil required is SAE 90-110, or Shell Omala 320, or Castrol Alpha SP320. Where do you think you might find this, and then, how do you get the oil in the gearbox? Is there any other way besides removing the gearbox and filling it in the siteglass opening? I was hoping to test the unit again for a leak, and if it fixed itself, I need to add oil. It's showing 1/3 full now.
Ray Edwards

Post by Ray Edwards »

You can find the oil at any auto parts store, unfortunately only way to add oil is to take the gear box off and fill thru site glass --- at least that is the only way I could figure out how to do this.
Being that I live aboard and travel (anchor) a lot, don't think orginally the leak in my case is from "over use" but think the motor was installed incorrectly, found it was off center.
I have on occasion checked the bolts attaching the motor to the gear case and on occassion get a slight turn on the bolt so maybe using the windlass causes the bolts to work themselve loose and wears on the seal?? Guess it is just another maintinance check !!!!!!!!

Ray Edwards
C350 #293
"Maria"
lyle

Post by lyle »

I refilled mine by dropping the bottom half of the gearbox. First remove the motor - then remove the 4 bolts holding the bottom of the gearbox housing. Just be carefull to keep it level as you drop it down through the inspection panel or the hydraulic oil will spill out (there is a sump that the oil sits in). I drained the oil completely, then topped up the sump in the gearbox with SAE90 gear oil (available at any automotive store) before reattaching the lower housing. I found this easier than dropping the whole gearbox.
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

The seal kit is: Kit P90003 seal kit. VW 800 windlass. Maxwell 714 689-2900.

Ours was leaking from the gear box to motor seal as well.

Removed the motor (two bolts).

Drove a screwdriver blade into the old/leaking seal and removed it.

Used a socket slightly larger than the ID of the seal to drive it in.

Reinstalled the motor.

Removed the old sight glass.

With a quart of gear lube, squeezed it into the sight glass hole, using fingers to keep it from draining out. Took a couple of times to get the oil level correct (middle of sight glass), then installed the new sight glass that came with the kit.

If you ever see oil stains on the front shelf in the forward cabin, the gear box is the likely suspect. Do NOT allow it to run out of oil, or you turn a $40 reseal job into BIG bucks.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
jking

Post by jking »

Oil has been dripping slowly from the cover under the windlass for a few years. Ordered 010207 Maxwell Windlass Replacement Seal Kit from Defender. Came with 4 seals, 2 orings and new site glass. Disassembled the Windlass from the top, as per the instructions above starting by removing the black cap, unscrewing the top bolt and lifting off all the parts on top in sequence. Then remove the two keys (square bits of metal on the shaft) and the black seal going around the shaft. See Photo 1. 4 bolts hold the motor & gear box (14mm). I undid them alone and the motor fell and dented the wood a bit so someone below would be helpful.

The seal that was leaking is shown in photo 2, partially removed. It was difficult to remove without scratching where the seal needs to go back in.

I should have removed the old oil by opening the site glass and draining it at this point after removing the old seal. I installed the new seal first which was a mistake as the oil was so thick it took me about an hour to drain and refill it via the site glass side. The oil has to pass over ball bearings which slows it down, but the bearings on the seal side are much larger and filling would be much faster on this side. The oil is the consistency of honey. The site glass side would only take a tea spoon size at a time and once the new seal is in it can't be removed without damage.

The motor alignment with the gearbox is not why it leaked on my boat. Turning the gear box by hand I saw play in the shaft of the gearbox and out as when the motor direction is reversed. The shaft on the gear box changes size right at the seal so as the shaft moves in and out the seal can't keep tight due to the shaft size change causing premature wear (this explains everyone having the same problem). The motor has a pin on its shaft so the motor & gear box alignment is not that important. Only used two seals from the kit.

Took about 2 hours. Hope this helps someone. Jan #303
Attachments
Photo 1. Top of the windlass.  Black seal still in place and two keys on shaft.
Photo 1. Top of the windlass. Black seal still in place and two keys on shaft.
IMG_1084.jpg (48.12 KiB) Viewed 13972 times
Photo 2. Motor and gearbox
Photo 2. Motor and gearbox
IMG_1080.jpg (63.86 KiB) Viewed 13972 times
Photo 3.  New seal installed.
Photo 3. New seal installed.
IMG_1082.jpg (49.86 KiB) Viewed 13972 times
KevinMc

Post by KevinMc »

I'm looking at the same project this week. Just so I understand; remove all the parts you can from the topside, remove the four bolts on the deck holding the windlass, have someone below to catch the windlass as gravity takes over?

Any other hints before I tackle this project?
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina