Mast bend or no bend?

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Guinevere

Mast bend or no bend?

Post by Guinevere »

I was watching some sailing videos on YouTube last night and came across this segment on tuning Selden masts on Catalinas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcCALZ4x6R4

The Selden rep noted that the mast should be bent aft 2-3 inches.

When we bought ours, the dealer (who was very experienced selling and sailing Catalinas) told me that Catalinas should be setup with zero bend in the mast.

What's the answer: bend or no bend?

Apologies as I'm sure this topic has been discussed but I couldn't find it in my search of the forum.

Thanks-
Bob
Guinevere
jbd3

Re: Mast bend or no bend?

Post by jbd3 »

I think mast furled main=no bend and aft bend fine in conventionally fitted hoistable main. I will defer to anyone better versed than me on this topic, though.
Jack
325 Florida
394 Lake Michigan
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

But, the mast in the video IS for in mast furling!
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
knitchie

Post by knitchie »

That is a large cross section to bend, but I suppose it can be done. I suggest you get the tuning guide mentioned at the end of the video. It is excellent for any sailor. In it, there is a section describing how to tune a rig without a gauge based on the size, breaking strength and stretch of the rigging.
Reverie, 2007 C350
lazy dog

Post by lazy dog »

I have a 2003 with conventional main. The spar maker is Charleston. I saw the Selden video several years ago and tried to get a bend into my mast with no success. I tightened the forward lowers and loosened the aft lowers. tightened the backstay. Could not get any bend. A year or so later there was an article in Mainstay about sail trim. As I recall it compared Catalina masts to utility poles and said there was no way to put in bend. That was consistent with my experience.
LI_Sound_Cat

Post by LI_Sound_Cat »

I know this an older thread - but wanted to know if anyone has experienced a slight bend forward at the top of the mast? I have a slight forward bend and thinking I need to tune the mast.
Dan
“Glandore”
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

LI_Sound_Cat wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:50 pm I know this an older thread - but wanted to know if anyone has experienced a slight bend forward at the top of the mast? I have a slight forward bend and thinking I need to tune the mast.
In a word, NO. You do need to retune the rigging.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL