Working jib - 100/110%

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

dedgell

Working jib - 100/110%

Post by dedgell »

Does anyone have a working jib for their 350? I would define working jib as between 100% and 110%. If so, I am interested in your experience sailing with that jib.

We have a 135% jib on Blue Wing. I’ve never been happy with the way it sails reefed when going upwind in heavier winds. I’ve been thinking of adding a working jib to use in the spring and fall when the winds are stronger.

As an alternative, I could but a new 135% with a foam luff designed for reefing. I don’t have any experience with a foam luff, so I’m unsure how much better it would be than what I have.

Would appreciate hearing of your experiences sailing with the smaller jib or a foam luff for reefing.

Thank you,

David Edgell
S/v Blue Wing
C350 #442
russp

Re: Working jib - 100/110%

Post by russp »

Hi Dave,
Prior to fitting foam luff my 135 looked aweful and bagged from 1/3 to 2/3 of the height when reefed.

With foam luff it is no racing sail but for cruising and up to 30 knots I have been comfortable with it. Can it point really high? No - but do you really want to go very high into 30 knots? In fact if you have a 350 what are you doing going upwind in 30 knots anyway??

With foam luff it looks like a jib when reefed, not like an old sheet that has been hung up.

Russ Peel
Avalon. #150
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

Interesting topic. I have always considered increasing our 135 genoa to a 155 to get better light wind performance, but really don't want to change sails when the wind picks up. That's the whole point of having a furling jib. But, considering the poor sail shape of the 135 when reefed, I figured a 155 would have the same problem when the wind picked up. Has anyone had any experience with a 155 genoa with some sort of foam (or rope) luff? Or any experience with sail performance between a 135 and 155 in light (less than 15 knots) wind. Could you reef a 155 with a foam/rope luff down to 100 or 110 and maintain any sort for sail shape when the wind really kicked up?

We already have a furling asymmetrical that works well for points of sail from a beam reach to straight downwind.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
Richard Thabit

Post by Richard Thabit »

I have had very good sailing results with a 115% jib that was cut back from my original 135% that came with my boat in 2003. About 7 years ago I purchased a 150% and a whisker pole to do club racing on the Hudson River. For racing the 150% was superior to the 135% , but for cruising or day sailing the 150% was a pain to handle short handed. Even the 135% at times needed to be walked through when tacking. I had the 135% cut back by a sail maker to 115% and it comes through without help on tacking and gives me almost the same speed upwind and on the beam as the 135% did. Of course in very light air you want more, but the 135% was not very good in light air either. I have had many friends from my boat club aboard and no one has said the boat is not doing well with the 115%. I was surprised and pleased with the results.
Richard Thabit
C 350 #111
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

As you see, there is NO ideal jib.

Considerations:
If visibility forward is important-- smaller jib with higher cut clew is better. Dodging crab pots off the west coast of FL for example!
If racing, a "deck sweeper" will give a little more performance.
Light wind-- larger jib better.
Heavier wind-- smaller, flatter cut jib better.

Yes, a 135 with foam luff is a reasonable compromise.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
jtptdallas

Post by jtptdallas »

We sail RAISE ME UP #417 on Lake Texoma with winds frequently 15-25 except during August doldrums. I removed my 135 and replaced with a 110 foam luff with leech and foot line. (U/S Sail from Catalina direct) She sails beautifully and I have to reef much less often. Cat 350 never a great pointer but I get 40 deg consistently on both tacks with the 110. I also always found the roller furled 135 caused havoc in a high wind on a port tack with a counter clockwise furler re sail shape and angry leech! I find sailing the 110 much easier in all winds. When winds are so light on Texoma that you meed a 135-150 its damn hot to be out there anyway!

Go to Catalina Direct and armed with the serial number inscribed at the bottom of your mast (Selden rig?) they can fill your order cost effectively and efficiently. Other sailmakers have given me much lower quality sails in the past.
Enjoy!!
Jeff Thurston
Drjeffthurston@gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone
Mark Sutherland

Post by Mark Sutherland »

I believe my sail maker said my custom jib was about a 115. In So. Cal we have 10 to 15 knots pretty consistently and I've always been happy with a 115 on my 350 and 120 on my previous '34. Today was making 6.5 knots thru water with about 12 knots of wind, close reach.
Mark Sutherland,
Dunrobin III
Hull #388 (2006)