Rocna Anchror Question /Chain size

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

SVHappy

Rocna Anchror Question /Chain size

Post by SVHappy »

Hi All you Rocna anchor users......
Did you have any issues with your Rocna fitting on the dual factory anchor rollers? Which one did you get?
I've got a 35 pound QCR and need to add a second anchor anyway so I'm looking at the Rocna. I'm probably going to do 100FT Chain and 150FT rode.

Anyone able confirm that the Maxwell VW800 Windlass uses 5/16 G3?

Any other hints that might help me here? Thanks!
Wisail

Re: Rocna Anchror Question /Chain size

Post by Wisail »

No problems with the Rocna fitting on either roller. I am not sure how CQR and Rocna will fit together. The CQR will have to go on port roller as the Rocna on the port side does overlap somewhat on the starboard roller.
If you have two plow anchors,two sets of 100 ft Chain and rode that is a significant amount of weight forward.
I have 125 of chain and 150 of rode on the Rocna with a Danforth stowed nicely in the locker. It’s lighter and easier to move if using as a stern anchor.
Yes to the chain size on windlass.
jonnjones

Post by jonnjones »

Suggest you remove the gypsy on the windlass and take it with you to buy the chain.
Jon and Lori Jones
S/V Wind Orchid
Annapolis
Hull #273
J.Sarge

Post by J.Sarge »

what size rocna did you go with?
Jason
s/v Serenity
Hull #418
Richmond, VA
Wisail

Post by Wisail »

Rocna 15.
40 some odd pounds.
If you use the port roller the chain runs fairer.
lazy dog

Post by lazy dog »

We went with the 20 kg. That's 44 lbs. It fits OK on the longer roller. I almost got the 15 kg (33lbs) but our boats are very big for their length and I decided to err on the side of caution. The one downside with the Rocna is that if you are in a weedy anchorage with a lot of wind the anchor can wiggle and dig. It will uproot the weeds and they can clog the anchor face. We ended up with a big ball of roots that were held on the anchor surface by the ring at the back of the anchor. When the ball got big enough it prevented the anchor from holding and we drug. I have friends that had the same problem with the Manson anchor that looks like a Rocna. Only solution seems to be to pull and reset the anchor at least every day if you are in those weedy conditions. The nice thing is the Rocna always sets for us on the first try.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

1)I'm looking to replace my CQR which i have on the port bow roller, with a Rochna 20. A C36 on a nearby dock just installed a Rochna 20 (44lbs) and the shank seems to jam in up against the bale. Has this been a problem for anyone who has used this anchor on either of the rollers? Does removing the bale make any sense? I'm not sure what it's function really is.
2) Does anyone use the Delta anchor, it gets a good recommendation from the English magazine, Yachting Monthly as a lower cost (than Rochna) and solid alternate for cruising sailors.

I prefer the port roller because I belive my smaller Danforth can stay on the starboard roller and will still fit well with the new anchor.

The CQR has dragged on two separate occassions on me in conditions where a wind shift of 90Deg the first time and another of 180 Deg the second time caused it to slowly drag. The 180deg shift happened at 2:00 AM and fortunately my 6th sense woke me up and upon checking my charter plotter we were indeed dragging for about about 50 feet and were still moving. We had to leave the anchorage and get out to open water in 35 kts of wind on a very dark moonless night. All ended well enough but I'm done with the CQR. On both occassions I used a 5:1 scope, including 105' of 5/16 chain.

I think CQR tends to drag by laying on its side with a wind direction change. Even the Danforth doesnt do that!
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
Pgtjs

Post by Pgtjs »

HI Curt,

I replaced my Delta 10kg anchor two or three years ago with a Rocna 15kg (or I think that size - I am not at the boat right now). I have 200' of 5/16th chain attached. Around here I usually make it a point to not anchor in more than 40' depth at low tide. I only once dragged on the Delta and have not on the Rocna despite major winds (25+knots) on a couple of occasions. I run a watch if it gets so windy - say at Sucia or Montague or Newcastle. I run it on the port side roller with a bail that does not impede it and is critical to keeping the chain on the roller when the boat swings suddenly in heavy tidal directional changes and it is really windy. On a couple of occasions I heard a major "clang" noise when it hit the bail. I also rigged up a simple snubber to stop the clang and that works fine.

I keep the Delta as a spare with a mixed chain and line totaling 250' and don't keep it on the bow.

Call me at 360-371-3374 and we can discuss further.
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

HI Geoff

Thanks for the great input. I've decided to go with a Rocna 20. Its a little heavier perhaps than needed but i only carry 105' of 5/16th chain so the weight in the bow of the heavier anchor shouldn't be and issue. The existing CQR is a much heavier beast than the Rocna.
I'll put the Rocna on the port roller and keep the Danforth as a hot spare on the starboard roller. I use it occassionally as a lunch hook.

The Rocna is actually a little cheaper than the equivalent Delta so that's all good.

If the bail is a problem i believe I can get a bigger one to accomodate the Rocna 20. It has a larger shank than the 15 so a larger bail will take care of that issue.

Thanks again for your valuable input, hope to see you out there this season. We expect to be in and around Desolation Sound in the coming weeks so let us know if you are planning to be in the area.

Cheers
Kirk & Leah McCullough
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
S/V Tavish B.

Post by S/V Tavish B. »

Hi Kirk,

I too have the Rocna 20, it was the first thing I added when I got the boat three years ago. I had used a Rocna 10 on my C250 and was sold, so ditching the CQR and getting a Rocna was step one with this boat.

I run mine on the starboard roller and left the bail in place. Haven’t had any issues with the set up and I find the bail helps to “seat” the Rocna properly every time (and I don’t have a swivel, just couldn’t find myself trusting a swivel).

I just tried to upload some photos I found in my phone, however apparently the “file is too big”, so I can email them to you if you send me an email.

Fair winds,
Nick C.
S/V Tavish B.
SVTavishB@gmail.com
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Hi Nick

Thanks for the input, i keep hearing the same good things about the Rocna, so I'm sold too. I get my new anchor next week and will be ready for some more comfortable nights at anchor.

I'm not convinced a swivel is a good thing either, just want a nice big shackle.

Thanks to everyone who responded.
Kirk & Leah McCullough
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
nybor

Re: Chain size - HELP!

Post by nybor »

Hi people. My 2006 350 asked me to buy her new chain. I am sure the Maxwell VW 800 was installed on many of boats constructed around 2006. However, I never knew chains were so complicated (e.g. see the Maxwell Excel spreadsheet!!!!)

Anyway, can someone please tell me if I can simply order 5/16" grade 40 galvanized chain and not have it hang up on the windlass?

ps. also worried about Country of Manufacture.......

Thanks in advance

Dave B.
Nybor
Olivia Mae

Post by Olivia Mae »

I put Acco 5/16 G43 on ours and it runs though the windlass fine.
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.
D&M

Post by D&M »

Just bought our Catalina (#281) and the first change was to a Rocna 15 with 70mtrs of 8mm gal chain made in Australia. Currently moving the boat to Cairns and after sitting for four nights in 20-30 knot winds and uncomfortable swells I can attest to the holding power of the Rocna 15 in sand and sand/mud.
Also added a 16mm nylon anchor snubber using a prussik and spring hook. Works fabulously.
As a side note when I replaced the anchor chain, the last 40 meters was a rusted lump in the bottom of the locker. The PO had obviously never used more than about 25 meters of chain. :(
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a
russp

Post by russp »

And for anyone thinking about chains in bottom of lockers! I recently removed the whole 70 m of chain from my anchor locker and laid it out on the dock, hadn't done it in 10 years and hadn't used more than 30-40 when anchoring so last section had just sat. It was lying in an inch of wet mud even though I hose the anchor locker out regularly, resulting in some of the gal being rusted off on some links.

I bought heavy duty plastic grid from hardware store and cut to shape of bottom of the locker before the chain went back in, so chain now sits high and dry above the locker base, worth doing unless you routinely run all the chain out and clean out the base of the locker.

Regards
Russ
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
SeaBreeze78

Post by SeaBreeze78 »

There is a guy on YouTube who doing some great real life testing of anchors. He mostly does the larger sailboat anchors but does dinghy anchors also. He experiments with two anchors in line. He measures what chain pull comes with its catenary. The thing he checks the most is 180 degree swings which dislodge an anchor and will it reset. S/V Panope anchor test. See how your favorite anchor does and any possible glitches.
belladonna

Post by belladonna »

I've read all of the anchor related posts in the Forum and it seems like the Rocna 15kg 33lb is the anchor of choice for "normal, non-hazardous anchoring". I currently have the same size Bruce anchor which works fairly well except in mud. The Bruce also has a straight shank the works well with roller, bail and metal tray. So how will the Rocna with the angled shaft work on this factory installed set-up?
Thanx as always.
Jim Lassiter
2005 Catalina 350 "BELLA DONNA" # 368
White Stone, VA (lower Chesapeake Bay)
Monty

Post by Monty »

Jim; I have the Rocna 15 on our boat, hull 418. Picture attached. It fits fine and releases and returns as it is supposed. Although we are new to the C350, the several times we have used it, it held well and released when tugged on. Steve Montgomery
Attachments
anchor.jpg
anchor.jpg (90.1 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
Steve Montgomery
Salty, hull #418
Deltaville, VA
Bob_A

Post by Bob_A »

Excellent discussion! I too changed out the old Bruce 33kg (1970s technology) for a Rocna 15. The rode is 120' 5/16 galvanized chain and 200' Samson 8 braid line. I run it on the starboard side as its longer and in pays out with no issue. I removed the spare smaller Bruce with 3/8 chain and rope rode as even without the spare in the front it is too much weight and causes pitching. I am rebuilding the spare set up with the older Bruce 33kg and will keep that aft. If we go further north, as in the Central Coast and onward I will change the Rocna 15 out for the 20 or consider an Excel etc. I will also decrease chain to 60 - 80' and approx 260' Samson line (there are some very deep anchorages up there) The Rocna 15 has been very faithful but I don't feel its been overly tested either. Its worth looking up Catenary Effect regarding anchoring as this is the more important factor than type of rode.
In tight crowded anchorages, without stern ties, where the night should be calm we are often having to use a 3 or 4:1 scope in which case I always use a 30' snubber on the chain to take the weight of chain off the roller. Happy anchoring!
Bob & Cherie
Cheeky Monkey - Hull 363
Vancouver, BC
belladonna

Post by belladonna »

Thanx folks for all of the knowledgeable discussion surrounding the Rocna anchor. As soon as I save a few $100 bills I will buy a Rocna 15 and use in place of my Bruce. Cheers, Jim
PS - Monty (Steve), I will see you this Thursday...
Jim Lassiter
2005 Catalina 350 "BELLA DONNA" # 368
White Stone, VA (lower Chesapeake Bay)