spinnaker halyard

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

CaptainLarry2

spinnaker halyard

Post by CaptainLarry2 »

Does anyone know how long the spinnaker halyard is on the 350?
What size is the line? Mine is shot
Larry McKay
lazy dog

Re: spinnaker halyard

Post by lazy dog »

The book calls for 130ft 1/2" line. I just replaced mine and followed that spec. If I were to do it again I'd go with 7/16 line. It has plenty of strength and would be much easier to fit in the storage bags. My rigger said that 3/8" would be plenty of strength. That's what was on the boat when I bought it. The book calls for 120 ft for the jib halyard. I'm not sure why the spinnaker would need the extra 10 ft.
oktbrian

Post by oktbrian »

I am trying to find the sq ft needed for a spinnaker for a 350. I am in the market for a used one and have seen everything from 807 - 890. I am a rookie with them so need some guidance a sail and rigging.
Wisail

Post by Wisail »

My new asymmetrical reaching arriving soon has 950 square. As I haven’t sailed it yet I can’t say how it performs.
There are several questions to ask before how big?
What points of sail are you trying to optimize? Dead downwind you will likely want a symmetrical with pole and needed lift and down haul gear.
If you are looking for beam to broad reaching you likely want an assymetrical. Here you need to decide how to attach the foot. ATN tacker, bow sprit/pole, on the anchor roller etc. each will change the size and performance of the spinnaker.
Another consideration is the predicted velocity you are wanting to work with. If it is always fresh and fair where you are and you just want a toy that gets you better off wind performance...awesome. If your wind goes soft in the summer months you may want a big chute with furler, snuffer or sock.
I have found maximum sail power blog by Brian Hancock to be informative.
As always, Wisdom above knowledge!
JJ