Bow sprit

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Wisail

Bow sprit

Post by Wisail »

I am adding a Selden retractable bow sprit to Donna Marie hull #489. Plan to use with a reaching assymetrical on a top down Selden Furler.
It has gone pretty well so far. Installing the ring on the anchor roller. There is just enough clearance for it to pass through the loop of the Rocha anchor on either port or starboard roller. I have added a u-bolt to the bow to make a bridle/bob stay.
My question for the forum is... should I place the aft pad eye aft of the windlass locker or on top of the cover.
I can extend the front of the pole another foot forward for clearer air (spec by Selden) but the pole doesn’t com any longer. I can shorten it off needed.
Most of the load will be down and port and starboard and I don’t intend to use a code zero so loads will be less especially with the bow bridle.
I could add reinforcement to the underside of the locker lid to help with side by side movement. The aft end of the pole will actually be more to the left of the windlass to make the end of the sprit on center line of the boat.
Jeff.
Bow.jpeg
Attachments
2A2D5491-C66D-4641-B605-CAD08128478D.jpeg
2A2D5491-C66D-4641-B605-CAD08128478D.jpeg (99.2 KiB) Viewed 2697 times