Fridge and freezer push button latch replacement

One of everybodies' favorite topics. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's refrigerator here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

R.B.

Fridge and freezer push button latch replacement

Post by R.B. »

Our fridge push button latch broke. The button would not stay down and therefore the door would not latch closed. I removed it and took it apart to see if it was repairable. The fact that it is made out of plastic did not give me any confidence though. Once apart, I saw that the tiny, very thin tab that holds the latch in place was broken with no easy way to fix. So a I needed a replacement. The latch had the manufacturers name on it Southco so I researched it on the web. There are several distributors in North America, so I called a few. I finally found someone that had latches or could order them. The part number is: M1-2A-12-1 for the same chrome replacement. I ordered from MW Fasteners in Oshawa, ON (1-800-663-5392) and they cost $17 Cdn. and a 10 day wait. Of course Taxes and shipping on top.

Thought I would pass on the info.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
Hans Grasman

Post by Hans Grasman »

Ralph
With hull #342 I would think the dealer would have replaced it.
It happened on my fridge also soon after I took possession of the vessel and my dealer sent me a new unit. No charge.
R.B.

dealer

Post by R.B. »

Hans,

You are correct. however I have found that I need to wait too long for things to get ordered from the dealer. I can usually just send them the bill and I will be re-imbursed. You know the old saying "if you want something done ...." :wink:
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
R.B.

Not quite the same

Post by R.B. »

Just to report ... The button that I purchased does not operate exactly the same. This new button you push to pop up or recess the knob, but to open the door, you turn the knob to retract the latch. So far I actually prefer this latch to the old one.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342