Beer no longer cold!

One of everybodies' favorite topics. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's refrigerator here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

TBOT422

Beer no longer cold!

Post by TBOT422 »

OK, our 12-year old Adler Barbour fridge has stopped working. The fan runs and the compressor "tries" to start, but doesn't. The flashing LED on the condensing unit, flashes once every 4 seconds for about a minute then shuts down and repeats. The manual implies this is a low supply voltage. I haven't checked the in line fuse as there is apparently power since it "tries" to start (momentary current draw shown at the switch panel). Any suggestions as to where to go from here? I really need a cold beer!

Thanks
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
KenKrawford

Re: Beer no longer cold!

Post by KenKrawford »

I have run into what sounds like the same problem. In my case it turned out that one of the stab type auto fuses on compressor was slightly corroded. I don't remember which one it was but a couple of passes with some fine sandpaper and all was good.
I guess it goes without saying but I assume that you've verified that you have 12-13 volts in your batteries.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

Thanks Ken,
I pulled both of those fuses and inspected them yesterday. I didn't have my multimeter to test them, but will take a second look at them today and clean the contacts. There is also an in-line fuse, but I assume it is ok or it wouldn't have any voltage to even try to start???

I run all DC power from a shore powered DC power supply when at the dock. Everything else seems to work fine, but I could switch over to battery power as a test just to make sure the DC power supply is working properly.
Gary & Janet
Richard Kollmann

Post by Richard Kollmann »

You would not rely on a voltage test to check your computer's boot up circuit The one LED flash code is telling you that during refrigerator boot up test there is a low voltage spike occurring in boats wiring to refrigeration. Weak circuit breaker, wiring old, panel switch contacts pitted, wire terminal corroded in positive or negative refrigerator wires.

Isolating trouble with one trouble flash every four seconds.
Run correct size and correct polarity jumper wires direct from a fully charged battery in order to bypass all boat’s wiring. Volt meter readings are of no value when looking for voltage spikes.
Murphysox

Post by Murphysox »

I had this problem too, it turned out to be corrosion on the wire at the connection to the compressor. You can replace the wire or if possible cut it back and strip the wire. Mine was last year and has not had a problem since. Good luck.
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

And the winner is - Ken Krawford

I pulled the fuses this morning, cleaned the contacts and reinstalled them and presto fridge started. After a short sail, it failed to restart again after connecting shore power so I removed the fuses again and treated them with an anti-corrosion solution, reinstalled, and all is working again. Hopefully it stays working.

Ken, I owe you a COLD beer. Unfortunately you have to come to the west coast of Florida to redeem your prize.
Gary & Janet
Richard Kollmann

Post by Richard Kollmann »

Gary, You have a low voltage spike do to a week spot in boat's wiring to refrigerator module.

If you were seeing a trouble code of 3 or more flashes flashes every 4 seconds it would be caused by an amperage problem. Your AB is either a CU100 or Cu200 which has an inherent problem of printed circuit board failures. The 15 amp fuse retaining clips are attached to the printed circuit board> By looking behind the stainless steel box look at both top and bottom of circuit board for heat distortion spots. Then go to my web site TECH TIP #1 http://www.kollmann-marine.com/techtips.aspx If you see burnt spot near top or near bottom board this unnecessary board needs to be replaced or bypassed.