Clogged strainer

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's plumbing here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Dream Chaser

Clogged strainer

Post by Dream Chaser »

Good Morning Folks

We're new into keelboats and bought #237 in the spring. We've had a great season so far and learning every time out. The previous owner had the pink antifreeze through the system so we rinsed it a few times to clear it. Recently it's had a flow/preasure problem so we started investigating. We found the strainer completey clogged with a yellow gelletan substance. We cleared it out and after a week or so of use the same thing happenned. We pulled the strainer and found it clogged again with the same material. Obviously this stuff is floating around in our tanks. Wondering if there's a product that will break this stuff down without harming the system...or would it be better to just keep straining it out like we've been doing?

Tom and Pam
Dream Chaser
KevinMc

Re: Clogged strainer

Post by KevinMc »

Do you mean the under the sink strainer in the head or do you mean the screw-on wire mesh strainer at the tip of the galley sink faucet?
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

My understanding is that many potable anti-freezes contain silicates and they can cause gelling when used in too high of a concentration. I suspect repeated flushing of the water tanks will cure the problem. Do you know if the previous owner used this product in the raw water part of the engine cooling system? If so, you may have gelling in the heat exchanger. Have you noticed engine temperature above 170 when motoring?
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Dream Chaser

Post by Dream Chaser »

Hi Guys

Yes I'm talking about the strainer/filter attached to the pump under the galley sink.

Motoring has been limited so far but I'll pay closer attention to the heat guage.

Cheers

Tom and Pam
Dream Chaser